Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • how to go about becoming self-employed
  • sadexpunk

good point on the business use, not sure what cover shes got, id guess its not business as she was unemployed when we were searching for quotes. bizarrely the premiums actually went up for being unemployed, id have thought less driving would be cheaper but no.

on the matter of claiming stuff back, i think im right in saying its a moot point isnt it if she doesnt earn enough to start paying tax in the first place?
    is it £11,000 you can earn without being taxed and having to offset costs?

thanks

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

is it £11,000 you can earn without being taxed and having to offset costs?

Her tax code will indicate how much she can earn before she starts paying tax but it’s probably 1100L which means tax free up to £11,000.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I find loss of earning insurance almost worthless. I just keep a pot to use if required. it hasn’t been so far, it’s amazing how less ill you become when self employed!

sadexpunk

wifes happy, shes keeping her spreadsheet going, shes not earning enough to bother keeping receipts but its all working out fine thanks.

however, im just asking a quick question for my lad now as im struggling to find out his best option right now.

he was made redundant from his apprenticeship, found some local work painting and decorating, but this source of work has dried up now. hes been back in touch with the ‘apprenticeship place’ asking if they had any work yet. theyve led him to believe theyd be able to give him some if he was a subcontractor, but they wouldnt take him on and was told if he signed up as self-employed they could maybe do something for him.

dont really understand this so have been trawling the gov.uk site for info but not found anything i understand.

can he/should he register a painting and decorating business in his own name say, even if he never actually got a subsequent offer of work? but itd be there if he ever needed to prove he was SE for subbing work?

would this work against him if he found someone wanting to take him on properly?

thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘how to go about becoming self-employed’ is closed to new replies.