Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • How to get to Scotland?
  • Tiger6791

Driving from York to Aberfeldy

A1 Edinburgh & Bridge

Or

M6 Glasgow

Google maps says not much in it time wise, which is best route?

isitafox
    Free Member

I’d go Glasgow personally

richmtb

You tak the High Road and I’ll tak the low road and I’ll be in Scotland afore ye. 🙂

IGMC

somouk
    Free Member

M6 for me all day long. A lot less chance of something closing it compared to the A1 route. Better services to stop at on the way as well.

mefty
    Free Member

IGMC

You will need it, it is cold in Scotland.

scotroutes

M6 and onto M74, no question.

richmtb

Glasgow to Aberfeldy is a really nice drive too.

If you got a bit of spare time then there is plenty to look at.

Take the M80 north, then the A84 past Doune and Callander then the A827 past Killin and to Aberfeldy.

Unless you are short of time don’t go up the A9 its a ball ache

Gary_M
    Free Member

The M6/M74 is the best route but the road works around Hamilton are a total nightmare at the moment. Not sure what it’s like northbound but took me 40 minutes to get through the road works southbound last week.

So if you’re hitting that area anytime near rush hour be prepared for a wait.

matt_outandabout

M6 and onto M74, no question.

+1

As above, A9 saves time, but either Callander+Killin (+45mins) or Crieff and Aberfeldy (+5 mins) hill road are nicer.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Keep walking away from the sun.

fasthaggis

It’s all about time/day of the week and if you want to go scenic.
    I used to love the A68 from Scotch Corner up to Edinburgh,wouldn’t go near it now,so it’s the M6-M74 then the will I,won’t I through Biggar.
    The Crawford to Stirling part is duller than a dull thing.

poltheball
    Free Member

M6/M74 for me as well.

FYI Tesco just off jn43 (Carlisle) of M6 is way cheaper than all the service stations, plus it’s got loos etc.

I’m heading up that way overnight tonight, holiday on Mull for a week wahey!

Gary_M
    Free Member

FYI Tesco just off jn43 (Carlisle) of M6 is way cheaper than all the service stations, plus it’s got loos etc.

I find Asda a bit easier to get in and out of, it is literally just off the m74

somouk
    Free Member

But neither Tesco or Asda server food as good as at Tebay services?!?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

A9 as far as Auchterarder then Crieff to Aberfeldy over the Sma’ Glen is one of the most scenic routes and a personal favourite. Even if the weather’s mince.

matt_outandabout

Tebay is a little short of the border / halfway on many journey’s however.

It does sell wonderfully middle class tasty food though.

prawny

One day I plan to have something to eat at teabay services, maybe a pie. Will probably have to wait for my parents to die first though, no way I can afford it at the moment.

giant_scum
    Free Member

If you are driving over the A66 you will miss Tebay Services. Aside from that I use the Tebay Truck Stop owned by the same company and the grub is a bit cheaper/working class, no fancy dan coffee!

As for the drive M6/M74 but come off at Junction 12 or 13 and head towards Livingston to avoid the road works at Hamilton then pick up the M8 at Junction 4 for Forth Road Bridge route North. Again it’s all a matter of timing regards traffic jams etc.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Truck stop just south of Tebay is owned by the same people and is good value.

Damn, pipped at the post.

codybrennan
    Free Member

+2 for the Truck Stop, savoury mince and dumplings, yum.

And yes, M6/M74.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Rheged is as good as tebay (arguably better) for those on the A66. Only a mile west of the motorway, not much of a detour.

mcj78
    Free Member

Tebay Services FTW – the duck & armagnac pies are outrageous, also – scotch eggs the size of a melon. 8)

jekkyl

Gretna services are always amusing. Little tarten drummer girls in wee plastic tubes!

bruneep

Real girls?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Reel girls?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why are people mentioning Tebay when the OP’s going from York to Aberfeldy?

skaifan
    Free Member

Keep going up until the men wear skirts.

allan23
    Free Member

From York, A1 A66 M6 M74, done it loads of times, quickest route.

A1 and over by Jedburgh is a bit more scenic but slower.

Bacon Butty and trucker tea at the truck stop on the A66 immediately after Scotch Corner, stop for a wee at Abington Services.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cheap eating at Lockerbie Truck Stop, good food as well, not as fancy as Tebay but.

br
    Free Member

A1 to Newcastle then A696/A68 to Melrose and across to Innerleithen. Do a red loop and cafe stop at No1.

Then backroad to Edinburgh/A7, bypass and either over the bridge north or across to Stirling and onwards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just over 500 miles round trip? Well I would walk….

somouk
    Free Member

Why are people mentioning Tebay when the OP’s going from York to Aberfeldy?

You could go the A59/A55 to the M6 and then you would pass Tebay.

rone

A bit steady on M74 just coming into Glasgow, as was A1 around scotch corner. I recommend Cross Lanes Farm Shop/Cafe 10 miles or so west as you get on A66.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You could go the A59/A55 to the M6 and then you would pass Tebay.

& in the process add 48 mins to the journey!
    (The food may be good at Tebay but It won’t be 48 miles extra good)

onehundredthidiot

A1, to Newcastle then head A68 to Jedburgh, lunch in the Jedburgh meringue shop. Edinburgh

Tiger6791

Thanks all

Went up A1 across at Scotch Corner up M6 past Carlisle, Glasgow then across and up to Aberlour.

Beautiful roads, amazing scenery can’t wait to go back with my bike.

Did Aberlour to London via York in one hit on the way back, now that’s a long drive

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘How to get to Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.