• This topic has 33 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • How to get rid of flagstones?
  • hora
    Free Member

Off my drive. I dont fancy killing my cars rear bumper and not sure a hire vans suspension would survive.

Smash with sledgehammer and makr numerous tip trips?

Thoughts/experiences?

wolly
    Free Member

Gumtree?

scotroutes

Freecycle / Gumtree

hora
    Free Member

Really?!!

gears_suck
    Free Member

Flagstones? Worth a fortune mate. Smashing them would be criminal.
    Are you sure they’re flagstones?

Cougar

I once had some Irish-sounding bloke ‘kindly’ offer to take away the flags I wasn’t using. They were underneath my tarmac’ed yard at the time. So there’s clearly a demand for them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We sold 42 flagstones that were on the barn floor and damaged at that by years of cows stomping over them, £500 we got for them..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are they flags or slabs .

Flags are stone and worth money

Slabs are concrete and you be lucky to get someone go take em

spooky_b329

If you mean concrete slabs…hire a van. A fwd will take around 1.5t if you get a proper van, a tipper will take around a ton.

I couldn’t get over the price of a skip for clean hardcore, saved £200 by getting a lift with the wife to work, picked up a hired Transit tipper, drove it back home 40 miles, did three trips to a concrete crushing plant at a tenner a load, then drove it back, refuelled it and came home with the wife.

Edit: Looking at the pic, reckon it might have been two skips worth as I ran out of time and still had hardcore left, so make that about £450 saved!

properbikeco
    Free Member

you could always put 3 bits at the bottom of your wheelie bin each week for the next 8 years…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The first response is the right one. Count ’em up, stick an advert on Gumtree/Freecycle, and give them to the first person who’ll come and take them away. I got half a dozen inquiries for just four spare paving stones uncovered in a garden overhaul. I’d be very surprised if you have to spend any time/money getting shot of them.

alibongo001

Hi Hora

I need some flagstones for my house!

Can you send a picture and I can see if they would be any good, happy to help take them up if need be

(I am not sure where you live, but I am near Halifax)

Cheers
    Alastair

solarpowered
    Free Member

Might be worth a peek in your local newspaper… I was looking at the ads at the back & recently saw ‘slabs wanted, cash paid on collection!’

midlifecrashes

Know anyone with an allotment? They’re usually grateful for building materials for paths and raised beds etc. (Assuming slabs, flags are for reusing or selling.)

hora
    Free Member

Manchester. Will check tomorrow but Im pretty sure its concrete slabs.

Worsecase £65 inc vat for a 3.5tonner

http://www.salfordvanhire.com/open_trucks_and_dropsided_vehicles.html

granny_ring

How much to post them? 🙂

spooky_b329

Hora…make sure you have somewhere to take them. The local recycling place will not be happy you’ve exceeded your ‘3 bags a month’ allowance! I found a local quarry/crushing plant that takes them.

joat

How much to post them?

. Just mark them as LiIon batteries or compressed gas and the post office will bin them.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Flags is northern for slabs! Even my ex Derbyshire sister uses that term now she’s oop north!

hora
    Free Member

Spooky you sure? Ive taken multiple drops in a day of full transit vans to the brim to our local recycling centre. All they do is weigh you going in and out and that your not commercial (show proof of resident/hired vehicle)

spooky_b329

Different rules for different councils I suppose…sounds like you are lucky!

I started off doing weekend runs in the car, always got spoken to on the second bootfull so had to go to the next closest tip as well.

crankboy
    Free Member

Put them in a stack next to the road. Put a sign up “flag stones for sale $5 each please knock to purchase ” should all be gone by the next day.

Jamie
    Free Member

How much to post them?

Good idea. Post them, write bike parts on the packaging, and chances are Royal Mail will steal and sell destroy them for you.

onewheelgood

I’ve got rid of quite a few via Freegle. The last lot weighed about 4 tons. Took them 3 trips with a borrowed van and a vw polo to take them away.

epicyclo

Put a Campagnolo sticker on them, and sell them to roadies as genuine Campag resistance training weights.

“Just strap it to the bike and attack the hills, and if that doesn’t improve your climbing, then come back and get an additional one”

At least £250 each…

(Any chipped ones, just pop a Shimano sticker on)

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I free cycled some unwanted topsoil and old concrete slabs as hardcore from a redundant flower bed once. Saved a fortune on skips.

MrOvershoot

From this

To this
    Was 8 trips to the tip in the car + a hire Transit for the weekend

Big build to follow

Oh BTW that’s not me in the pic, just a random midget!

tiggs121
    Free Member

Post on Freecycle or Gumtree – people will come!

hora
    Free Member

Mrovershoot would love to see a build/progress topic with costs etc

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

we had an entire garden’s worth of concrete slabs (previous occupant was a fan of low maintenance landscape), we just gave them away

the small bits & broken ones went to the tip

russianbob
    Free Member

Allotmentists often want concrete slabs for making paths. Put up some notices on your local allotment notice boards?

TiRed

Freecycle every time!

We had two tonnes of sand on our drive when we moved in, despite the sellers insistence it would be gone. One post, and a day later a charming man appeared with a trailer, took it all away and swept the drive. I’ve only ever had good experiences.

stumpy01

tiggs121 – Member
    Post on Freecycle or Gumtree – people will come!

I kept getting told this when I was getting rid of a pond in our garden and needed to get rid of all the brick rubble from knocking the (over-built) walls down.

“People are always looking for rubble and hardcore, stick it on Freecycle and it’ll be gone in a day or two”.
    “Farmers are always looking for rubble to line the entrance of their fields with; they’ll be round with a trailer in no time”…..

Nope. I described what I had, took a photo and nothing. Not a peep. Put the advert up twice and gave up. Currently being moaned at by the wife to get a skip, but they are very expensive and I expect that it’ll be filled with half the neighbourhood’s rubbish, while my back is turned.

hora
    Free Member

Well I’ll see..

I put a very big full glass greenhouse/wood framed thing on various sites. It was an absolute pain. People told me that local allotment (loads round here) would trip over themselves for it.

Nope, someone came, part took it down gave up and left. So smashed the bloody thing down and tipped it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘How to get rid of flagstones?’ is closed to new replies.