Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How to get rid of a wasps nest?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Afternoon all, I have need to get rid of a wasps nest that is in quite an unusual place.
    Now before you all start, I have let them be(e?) all summer as they have done me no harm, the trouble is they are now getting dopey & seem to have the Japanese attitude to dying, so to save me from tora tora tora, and to allow access to my aerial that needs re-positioning how best to get rid of the little darlings?
    My main problem is that the nest is in a cavity wall about 35' up, they only come & go via a small hole that an old aerial wire used to go in. I have put a ladder up & let them get used to it. I then went up to try & adjust the aerial, after being surrounded by about 30 or so wasps I have abandoned that idea & I think destroying the nest is a better option.

My cunning plan is to wait until dusk & try & get some nippon ant powder around the hole, & hopefully a bit in it, but TBH I just want to get up & down the ladder as quick as possible, I'm not keen on being stuck up a ladder with hundreds of angry Kamikaze wasps wishing to die for the cause.

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance.

woody2000

Phone the local pest control people, by far the best way TBH!

srrc
    Free Member

A whole can of fly spray will do the trick.
    Essential to use an extension delivery tube and a can with lots of puff.
    It must be able to blow the (angry) wasps back into the hole, if it runs out early you are most certainly doomed.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

You can get someone from the local council to come and destroy the nest for about £35. They spray a load of stuff into the hole which will kill them.
    Alternativly you can get a can of the stuff they use from B&Q for about £7 (Wasp nest destrotey). I had a massive nest in the shed and it took two cans to sort. If your happy going up the ladder then do it yourself. wait till about 10pm and they should all be in the nest having a kip pi$$ed on all the fruit they eat at this time of the year. You'll kill most of them in one go butits wirth going up for the next couple of nights and giving it a fresh blast for any that might have been out partying when you went st.elmo on their ass

fbk
    Free Member

Call in the professionals?

We paid about £40 last time – small price to pay, not to get stung 30 times and break a few bones when you land! We had tried the various spray around but just succeeded in p'ing them off even more!

uplink
    Free Member

Don't they all die off around this time of the year anyway?

ahwiles
    Free Member

take off and nuke the site from orbit?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks all, the pros sound like a plan.

In the mean time I just had a moment of madness type thought 💡

I have wrapped an old T-shirt around the top of the ladder, put lots of powder on it & positioned the T-shirt over the only entrance to the nest.

Sits back & awaits impending doom 🙁

stumpy01

I'd just call the council or an outside firm to come & sort it.

You probably need to block up the hole where they are gaining access or they'll probably just come back next yr.

Dobbo

Don't they all die off around this time of the year anyway?

That's what happens as far as I know, give it a week or 2 then when they've gone plug the hole up. Have a heart!

Harry_the_Spider

ahwiles got there first.

Stay away from her YOU BITCH!

plop_pants
    Free Member

leave it a week and they will all be dead anyway, and they won't return as they don't reused nestsites. Just mastic the hole.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You can get someone from the local council to come and destroy the nest for about £35. They spray a load of stuff into the hole which will kill them.
    Alternativly you can get a can of the stuff they use from B&Q for about £7

Council did mine for about £45.
    I did think about using the stuff from B&Q which although much cheaper did have one disadvantage. By using it, you are killing them and destroying their home, which would p1ss me off if I was a wasp. Do you want to deal with the consequences of a load of p1ssed off wasps whose home you may not even have destroyed, just killed their families?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member
    Dobbo

kingkongsfinger yeah thats right, why actually get peoples experiences or have any sort of interaction, or did you just find that gay website and feel the need to use it? 🙄

zaskar
    Free Member

The only way:

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Dobbo you Nobbo it was in light humour. 🙄

BTW please explain on how you arrived at the web site being gay ? 🙄

http://tinyurl.com/yg57ve6

Dobbo

Dobbo you Nobbo it was in light humour.

Thats ok then!

And I did laugh at the last link 😆

grtdkad

Definitely phone the professionals – not that costly and quite fun to watch them stressing.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Dobbo – Member

Dobbo you Nobbo it was in light humour.
    Thats ok then!

And I did laugh at the last link

😀

snowslave

In our old house we had a dobber of a wasps nest. No kidding, it was the size of a proper black bin bag.

The most interesting way to get them would be to pretend it is ww2, the germans are going to take blighty once they have control of the skies. It is down to the "few" to save us from Goering's mighty blitzing luftwaffe. You are the RAF. The wasps are the germans. Put on a flying helmet and goggles, leather jacket, flying boots, gloves, yellow mae west. Run up the ladder shouting scramble, chocs away ginger, bandits at 3 o'clock etc. Then proceed to pick them off one by one with a badminton racket. Everytime you get one, mark it off on the side of your car. Every now and then, come down the ladder, have a bladdy good sing song round the piano with pints of frothing ale. Drive around the countryside in a little sports car with a labrador in the passenger seat. Keep us posted on progress as you go eh?

I mean fer ****'s sake, put the magic back into wasp eradication why don'tcha????

Pip pip

donald
    Free Member

They'll all be dead in a fortnight if you can afford to wait.

Stiggy

snowslave: I salute you!

monotokpoint
    Free Member

kick the crap out of it

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Lol @ snowslave, you sir are a hero & I think you deserve the cross!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I smoked mine out, lit a BBQ below it and left it smouldering overnight. Not sure how you'll manage it here. I might just knock it down and run like ****, then come back later and burn it.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Yeah, I seem to of had success 😉

The wasps have gone from a small swarm to the odd one. They have been dropping like, er, wasps since the introduction of the powder, so much so I have just ventured up the ladder & siliconed the hole up, then put the ladder back over the hole.
    I guess the acid test is tomorrow, but I reckon that's £40 in the bank of bike bits 😉

Cheers all.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How to get rid of a wasps nest?’ is closed to new replies.