Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How to get music from iTunes to Android…
  • Kryton57

iPhone’s are too expensive, so this is the one thing holding me back from a £29 upgrade to an S3. So, is it possible?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Copy and paste?!

or DoubleTwist.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drag Drop? Big enough card to hold your entire music collection or Spotify

mactheknife

How do you store your music at home? I buy all my music online on Amazon and store it on a Micro SD card on my phone. Use PowerAmp as the media player which is very good.

But if you have bought through itunes im really not sure.

Kryton57

You just move all the files to the phones card? It’s really as simple as that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All my music on the S3 sits on SD/Samsung/Music

You can just tell whatever music player where you left it. Why would it be any harder.

DickBarton

Not entirely sure…itUnes does that DRM mince on the files so if you have bought it from iTunes, (a complete guess!) then it won’t play…if you have burnt the music from CD then it should play.

Actually I have Itunes and a Galaxy S2 – I’ll go try move a playlist that is made of of itunes-bought and cd-ripped tunes…I’m sure the Kies software has some sort of feature to allow me to do it ‘easily’…

philbert31
    Free Member

I had problems with my galaxy note as my home comp is a mac and it wouldnt detect when I had connected my phone, I downloaded Kies but still couldnt transfer music, so I found another way, all you need to do is get Isyncr app from google play on you phone (costs £2) install it then plug your phone in and follow the simple instructions, it’s a piece of cake.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah yes and don’t buy music from itunes. The DRM is a PITA

DickBarton

Well I hit the ‘Import Itunes playlists’ from the Kies menu and it’s now importing my music to the Kies system. It then asked me to install some codec so I’m going to guess, this will allow more of the music to be played through the phone…will report back once the import is done…

I don’t think it is an actual import, just pointing the Kies music library to the iTunes location for the music files.

philbert31
    Free Member

The Isyncr app converts everything automatically so is ideal!

allthegear
    Free Member

You do know iTunes music tracks have not had DRM for years now??

You should be able to just select all the music folders in the iTunes folder and drag them onto a card.

Rachel

phiiiiil

I use iSyncr to sync all my music and playlists from itunes onto my phone. Seems to do the trick, although I haven’t used any alternatives as none of them are free, alas…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good to hear the drum is gone. Once bitten never went back though.

DickBarton

I thought iTunes didn’t DRM the stuff (which is why the tracks got 20p more expensive when they switched it off!), but I’ve been unable to play the tracks on other devices when I’ve tried previously…

Saying that, the import worked to the Samsung Kies library, I selected a load of tunes and sent them to my phone…hey presto! They al play as expected…

CountZero

Not entirely sure…itUnes does that DRM mince on the files so if you have bought it from iTunes, (a complete guess!) then it won’t play…if you have burnt the music from CD then it should play.

Ah yes and don’t buy music from itunes. The DRM is a PITA

No DRM since April 2010.

Tebbalot
    Free Member

i’ve been using isyncr and it seems to work fine. haven’t used it since i switched to mac though so not sure how it is on there

rwc03
    Free Member

I’ve had the most success with winamp, you can import all your playlists from itunes and then sync from winamp with the app. Double twist worked for me briefly on my old phone but then stopped syncing properly. Tempted to try it again as it was very simple.

PrinceJohn

Songbird used to work as well – sailing media sync is a nice mac solution.

mudmonster
    Free Member

My girlfriend wanted to put music from itunes to her samsung galaxy. I did some internet research and found out I needed something called itunes agent. Downloaded this and it wiped all the music from her computer. Pretty embarrassed and annoyed. Won’t be going near her phone again. She still has no music on it.

spooky_b329

Yeh my iTunes tracks are not DRM’d. I bought a film on there as well (something about the Great Divide race, and that copied over to my PC/Android tablet fine as well.

Cougar

This really should be a non-question. “I have files on a device, I’d like them on another device.”

It shouldn’t need any exporting of this, importing of that, syncing with the other, multiple apps and buggering about; just copy and paste. Assuming iTunes hasn’t done something ‘helpful’ with the files, anyway.

Kryton57

Cougar – Member
    Assuming iTunes hasn’t done something ‘helpful’ with the files, anyway.

Now you see, I did assume that, hence the OP….. I’d love for it not to be the case however.

Cougar

<nods> IIRC there’s a ‘leave things alone’ option within iTunes. With it managing your music, goodness only knows. Presumably you can still get at the raw files somewhere?

From the Android side of things, it’s just a file system. You can create a folder and copy files to it, and it should Just Work.

somouk
    Free Member

Doubletwist is by far the best app I’ve used for it.

CountZero

When I had my crappy Nokia N95, despite it’s really shonky OS, putting music on it from iTunes involved selecting the songs, then drag’n’dropping them into an appropriate folder on its SD card. My music is all AAC, it played them quite happily.
    For two hours, when the battery ran out.
    It should be just d’n’d, Android will play AAC as well as MP3, as they are both open file formats; AAC is MP4 after all.
    There should be no need for third party ‘ware; if the computer can see the phone, then d’n’d, or just drag the music to a card in a card reader then put the card in the phone. Surely Android can see the files on the card and play them with its own player?

Cougar

Yes it can, and don’t call me Shirley.

phiiiiil

If all you want to do is copy your stuff over once, then no, there is no need for a third party app; it’s just there on disk waiting to be copied, however you’ve told itunes to manage things.

The various sync programs and whatnot are for if you want to automatically keep both sides updated without having to copy any new stuff yourself, and for getting your itunes playlists over too, which just a simple file copy won’t do.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How to get music from iTunes to Android…’ is closed to new replies.