Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • how to get motivation for riding my bike
  • racefaceec90

hello everyone.i just wanted to ask your advice.i suffer with depression,and part of the problem is my motivation goes out of the window(sorry to sound so heavy in first sentence!!!)i used to ride all the time when i had a cannondale f800 around 5-6 years ago,but i just cannot get that motivation back for riding now!!!i always make an excuse about the weather or not being fit enough,but really these are all excuses!!!the irony is,when i actually do ride my stumpy,i am happy as larry(being out on the ridgeway,at one with nature!!!)it's driving me nuts(so to speak :D)any advice would be most welcome.thank you!!! 😀

joe1983
    Free Member

Force yourself – get up, get ready, get on your bike. Even if it's the last thing you feel like doing just go through the motions. After 20mins pedalling you will be glad you did. Plus a bit of exercise will lessen your depression and make the next day easier. Good luck

racefaceec90

thanks for replying!!!i will definitely give it a go!!!am quite lucky where i live devizes wilts,as the ridgeway is only 7 miles away,salisbury plain is near(great to ride,when mod are not blowing the crap out of it!!!)also the kennet and avon canal is right on my doorstep.my mountain bike is a great cure for feeling down,as i think it is for everyone who rides.thank you again!!! 😀

rolfharris
    Free Member

In these times of shitey weather and muddy trails, my motivation is taking the bike to work and getting into my riding clothes just before I leave and then heading to the trail.

Other tips, if you cna't get to your trails easily by car or bike after work, include-

– wake up and before you do anything (maybe put on some grunderpants) get the bike out and your gear. Force yourself to do it, then go ride after breakfast.

– Buy a new bike. I only road bike because I keep getting new ones to keep it interesting.

– Get riding buddies. They force you out. On here's a good place to start.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Arrange to meet people for rides, then when you are feeling worthless and would normally just not go, you will go to avoid leting people down. Exercise is pretty good for mild depression.

tinribz
    Free Member

Goals. Set a date for a C2C or overnight trip with outrageous mileage, then put together a training plan.

racefaceec90

thanks for replying!!!i will give that a go also.would definitely like to ride with a group of other mtb'ers,but am not the fittest person at present,so would hold everyone else up haha!!!will definitely like to though once i get some fitness back!!!thank you 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Arranging to meet folk for a spin is a very good way of making sure you get out and do it. Don't worry about holding others up – make it clear its a social bimble not race training when you set up the meet.

racefaceec90

i'm sorry if i'm not replying to everyone(not meaning to be rude),but am pretty new to all this new fangled internetrickery 😀 and do not know how to reply personally to people!!!

Kramer
    Free Member

I'm usually the guy at the back, but not unrelated, I tend to bring the best food, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Get everything ready the night before.

Start with a short ride, an hour or two at most. Trail centres are good for this.

Go somewhere and practice your skills.

Go to a jump park if you've not been before.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Never be worried about holding people up- if that's a concern for them then you're riding with the wrong people. I ride with other people for the company, as I think do most people on here. There's got to be some around the ridgeway on here.

Mugboo

Variation is the key for me.

New kit.
    Different riding groups.
    Skills courses.
    Going to lots of different places.

A lot of my riding pleasure/motivation comes from knowing i'm improving. As i'v no intention of racing i let fitness take care of itself and concentrate on the techy side of things along with some long rides for stamina.

Last night i never left a square mile of my local moor but came away with a good feeling from riding a line i've bottled before.

Sandwich

Runners use a trick where you can turn back after 10 minutes out. That way you get started with only 10 minutes to worry about. By then you should be warmed up and unlikely to stop.
    Make sure your clothing is up to the weather conditions, ie you stay comfortably warm even if wet through.

stcolin
    Free Member

Hi racefaceec90,

I'm also like you in that I suffer from depression. The best thing I found was to ride with like minded people. Being out with a group is the best way to get motivated, well for me anyway.

Stick at it, you'll soon find the want to get out on your own and only come home when your lungs and legs have totally given up!

Colin

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Racefaceec90, I used to suffer quite badly from depresion so I know where you're coming from. Motivation is still a problem for me and like joe1983 says you need to push yourself out of the door.
    Being quite shy I find it hard to ask for riding buddies on forums so my last push to get the motivation was to but a new bike which had its first ride on saturday but already i'm finding excuses not to ride, even though once i'm out and about I love it.
    I see in your profile that you're quite close to me as I live in Andover. If you want the motivation then maybe we could meet up for some rides, at least then there will be something to look forward to and with the added bonus of finding new trails around the area. Don't worry about your fitness as we are probably about the same level.
    Cheers MM.

lock
    Free Member

do some events,evans trail breaks are good,the thing with events /races people think its all balls out blasting ,but there is always a mixed bag.
    keep a riding/exercise diary and try and beat it each week or month

try and do more miles or hrs,set goals big and small,do a ride for charity,set a high mileage ride for you and if you achieve it treat youself to your favourite takeaway or cake

racefaceec90

Mulletus Maximus thanks for replying.would definitely like to take you up on the offer of meeting up sometime(but really am unfit at present!!!)i did try to e mail you,but the windows e mail software asked me for some info on servers?i had no idea what to put,so couldn't send you the message.have therefore left this message,in case you look at this page again.my e mail address:- adamibanezcunningham@hotmail.co.uk .appreciate you and everyone who has taken the time to reply to my question!!!thank you 😀 adam

timnwild

There a guy called Gilles on STW who organises rides round your way – I was staying with family in Devizes the other week and looking for a route. We met up and had a brilliant hack around the woods and ridges between Devizes and Marlborough. Keep your eyes peeled, as mostly the rides have quite a few STW members going along. Got to agree with other posters – riding with other people is the best way – laughter, a bit of friendly competition, help when stuff breaks, routes you don't know, and best of all – it gets you out of the house when you don't feel like it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hide your meds out in the woods, et voila – there's your motivation to get out on the bike.

Seriously though (and I hope you took that how it was intended), try to focus on that nice happy feeling you get while out on the bike – or the satisfaction you feel after a great ride.

Remember that and contrast it with the feeling you get from sitting round the house.

If you're still not motivated after all the suggestions on this thread, maybe go for a walk round the woods instead, if that's easier. I'm sure that soon you'll be scoping lines and regretting not being on your bike instead.

BIKES4LIFE
    Free Member

watch T.D.F

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘how to get motivation for riding my bike’ is closed to new replies.