• This topic has 63 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • How to get money back from sister in law
  • jonesyboy

we acted as guarantors for the sister in law for her uni digs, she defaulted on payment then after me getting shirty she finally agreed to pay debt collection lot 20 a month on a 1200 debt. Now she’s done it again, and naturally we are obliged to pay. Is there any legal way to get the money back fron her? Or should i open a shole can of whoopass? Rob her flat and chuck everything out? Not only am i pissed about the money but she hasn’t evrn got the decency to apologise. Biatch

jam-bo

Write it off and move on.

chewkw
    Free Member

Sell her to people traffickers perhaps?

tomhoward

Fetch the bombers…

mooose
    Free Member

Aye don’t think there’s a way out of this one – guarantor is liable to pay the rent if tenant can’t/wont pay.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not much chance but I’d be crossing her off the Chrismas card list for sure.

That’s a quid or so saved per year at least.

Oh, I’d never speak to her ever again either or have anything at all to do with her.

I guess you could try the small claims court but I feel this would cause more family trouble than it’s worth.

At a push ask her for £20 a month but I doubt you’ll get it for long.

jonesyboy

And she knows we’ve been struggling to pay the mortgage ss well! Move on is not the way i will have my vengeance! Maybe reclaim via small claims court?

emsz
    Free Member

why not find out why she’s not paying? perhaps she’s got some other problems she’s not telling you about that could be serious?

donsimon
    Free Member

why not find out why she’s not paying? perhaps she’s got some other problems she’s not telling you about that could be serious?

This.

tomhoward

Serious face on now, how come she’s defaulting? Has she enough money to pay for rent & food in the first place or is all her money going on her social life?

Junkyard
    Free Member

That and if it is not convincing what luke said

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can sue, for sure.

tomhoward

I know your miffed but how is taking someone, who you know full well has no money, to court to get your money back going to help anyone in this situation?

druidh
    Free Member

Is she a looker?

Would you?

csb

You did know this was possible when you agreed to be a guarantor though didn’t you? That the whole point of being one.

fadda

Sorry, but you did know what being a guarantor could mean, didn’t you…?

fadda

Damn your fast fingers, csb…

Edric64
    Free Member

People who need a guarantor often have a poor credit history .I think you have learnt a lesson .Is she a mature student or a kid ? I might understand it from an 18 year old away from home the first time.

donsimon
    Free Member

People who need a guarantor often have a poor credit history

I thought that until I remebered it looks like it’s for a private landlord. 😐

jonesyboy

Yeah for sure i knew, but call me old fashioned we did it to help her out not to be treated like ****. Mother in law sides with her saying if we couldn’t afford it we shouldn’t have done it. I just don’t expect to be treated like a mug by family. She’s not had the decency to call and fella spends his giro on weed need i say more?

jonesyboy

She’s mid twenties so old enough to know better

jonesyboy

It’s for uni digs 2 years ago and she’s had the money…..grr

chewkw
    Free Member

Sell her to pimp(s) perhaps?

They will definitely own her …

😯

Edric64
    Free Member

I`m on your side you are being treated unfairly.Why would the rest of her family not cover for her ?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Mother in law sides with her saying if we couldn’t afford it we shouldn’t have done it.

Wow! 😯

I’d be mighty pissed off if I was you. Bombers, find her shoes and relievr yourself in them and the small claims court.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you sure that the landlord isn’t pulling a fast one?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mother in law sides with her saying if we couldn’t afford it we shouldn’t have done it.

Ask to borrow her car and crash it remind her of this point of view as you hand back the keys.

transapp
    Free Member

I’d happily fall out with the family over this. Sounds like from your description that it’s your other halves sister? If so, what does he / she say about it?
    Wee and bombers time

project
    Free Member

jonesyboy – Member
    She’s mid twenties so old enough to know better

Some people learn at an early age how to con the system , along with freinds and family.

you just didnt learn fast enough.

jonesyboy

Don simon, was uni halls run by private company.

donsimon
    Free Member

And? Private landlord more likely to be shady.
    Don’t the universities normally hold back awards in cases like this?

jonesyboy

Shes quit the course 18 months ago and moved out of digs 2 years ago. Small claims seems to be the way forward as she has enough dosh for weekly dope supplies.

garage-dweller

You should now stand in the shoes of the landlord if it was a guarantee.

You should therefore be able to go after her through the courts, get judgement, send enforcement officers in or even make her bankrupt (latter is costly and unlikely to yield cash result from what you have said).

If you stand no chance of getting something back in cash terms then think twice about urinating time and money up the wall. If she defends a court case it could prove a right a***.

garage-dweller

And I would can all future contact with her either way until she makes an effort to pay or at least properly apologise.

samuri
    Free Member

Bit late now but never, ever lend money to family. That’s my advice.

My wife has lent, over the years, around 6 grand to her family. We’ve seen about 3 grand of it back. We’ve had plenty of promises like but it’s family, you can hardly take them to small claims court.

One of her sisters was taking holidays in Florida while still claiming she had nothing to pay us back with. They now have a very successful carpet business on the go but apparently can only pay us £50 a month.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Why didn’t her mother go guarantor? She does have a point……

Sandwich

Keep a record of the amount owed. Compound interest at a reasonable amount every year until it’s paid.

My daughter was tuned over for £2k by a coke head rich girl moving out and leaving her share of the rent and bills not paid. Joint and several liability has caused some serious financial cramp in their household. Daddy’s girl is biding her time 😈

aP
    Free Member

Daddy’s girl will change her mind once she finds she can’t get credit with CCJ for that money hanging over her.
    I’ve lent money to my sister, it was tedious and annoying, difficult to get back, and because I’ve not thrown away my inheritance I’m a rich ****. Unsurprisingly I won’t be lending any more money to my sister as she’s frittered a quite substantial amount of money away.

smell_it
    Free Member

If she has got a dog, punch it in the face.

piha
    Free Member

smell_it – Member

If she has got a dog, punch it in the face.
    Posted 14 minutes ago # Report-Post

^^^^ Gotta say, I can’t argue with that ^^^^

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘How to get money back from sister in law’ is closed to new replies.