Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to get into Edinburgh…
  • MoreCashThanDash

from the Kelso side?

We are staying just over the border near Kelso next week, want a day in Edinburgh and wondering how/where will be best – presumably park & ride?

(We are only going in for a sight seeing bus tour and maybe Britannia to keep the kids amused)

Cheers

jimmy

there’s a park and ride near Dalkeith I believe

macmclaren
    Free Member

Cant rememberthe train station but just park at dalkeith and get the train in, i have done it a few times. Edinburgh is a nightmare if u are driving – avoid at all costs.

also there are plenty of buses running from dalkeith

buses

GW
    Free Member

do you have your passport? 😛

just drive straight to Ocean terminal (free parking) and get the bus to waverley bridge.

MrK
    Free Member

there is no train station in dalkeith. at least, not that’s in use. come back in five years for that…

AlasdairMc

Park and Ride at Sheriffhall then bus it in. Alternatively, just park in the suburbs and then walk in. Are you coming in on a weekday or weekend?

donald
    Free Member

Get to the ring road and turn right.

Turn left on to the A1 and then drive in to Leith. Park at Brittania and then use buses all day. The 22 takes you from Brittania to the city centre.

MussEd
    Free Member

Come up A68 to A720{city bypass} then either go left Park and Ride bus at Sherrifhall roundabout, or right for A1 park and ride train at Newcraighall. Buses are quite quick but subject to some traffic issues, trains are super quick to town.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Going to the Britannia / ocean terminal is one heck of a long way round. Sherrifhall is much better idea IMO

MussEd
    Free Member

Driving in and out of Leith at start and end of day is pretty tricky at the moment due to extensive roadworks though. I’d avoid it if I were you.

donald
    Free Member

Going to the Britannia / ocean terminal is one heck of a long way round. Sherrifhall is much better idea IMO

But the OP wants to go to the Britannia!

Driving in and out of Leith at start and end of day is pretty tricky at the moment due to extensive roadworks though. I’d avoid it if I were you.

It’s fine going east. I do it every day.

GW
    Free Member

Seems like most of the replies about taking public transport/walking in are from posters with no kids (or understanding of their needs on a day out)

donald has given you the best option (from experience).

it also means your car is parked close to all the amenities you could need before you set off home.

MussEd
    Free Member

Going east? Away from Leith you mean? Presumably if Ocean Terminal is OP’s destination he’ll be travelling towards Leith. i.e through King’s Road roundabout/Seafield bottleneck at morning rush hour and and out of Leith after the day trip is over i.e back through this at evening rush hour?

Not sure why your arguing so forcefully against someone using a perfectly acceptable way of getting in and out {and around} of town just cos that’s the way you go every day?

DrJ

Unless things have changed a lot … from the S, go to the ring road, take the A7 towards town, to a bit before Arthurs Seat, and park in one of the cross-streets between Dalkeith Rd and Minto Rd (or whatever they’re called at the point where you stop. Then take a bus.

MussEd
    Free Member

DrJ – Parking meters/permits and severely keen Parking Enforcers nowadays.

OP – I don’t know why I’m arguing so vehemently on Park and Rides behalf – nothing to do with me after all. It’s just that living here, with half the roads beeing dug up for tram works, crazy traffic at the best of times, asshat parking attendants and pollution, just thought it would make more sense to leave the car on the outskirts. Loads of buses and trains available and the place isn’t big anyway, hence relatively easy to get around.

Anyway however you get here, I hope you enjoy the city.

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

Kings Road Works are scheduled to be finished and reopened on Monday morning. So if going to and from Leith should be OK. Also it is school holidays so all the roads should be quiet enough.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks guys – hoping the welcome next week will be as warm!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to get into Edinburgh…’ is closed to new replies.