• This topic has 20 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • how to get barst**d tight tyres back on rim
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

trying to get some Conti tyres on my rims(Sun black eye)and no amount of swearing and trying can i get the last little bit on tried washing up liquid and Park tyre levers all ive managed to do is puncture 3 inner tubes this is the same front and back any ideas???.

bassspine
    Free Member

what rim strips? If those are too thick, you can't get the bead far enough down in the rim to get the last bit on.

Smee
    Free Member

Intense tyre levers. Never had a tyre that i couldn't beat into submission with those bad boys.

fisha
    Free Member

start at the valve and get what you can on.

lay the wheel down flat on the ground with the skewer in, stand on the rim at the valve side, and then roll the tyre over with your hands … you get a ton more force that way. the wheel should take it fine.

jfeb
    Free Member

Basic advice but make sure the bead is sitting in the centre of the rim, not seated against the edge of the rim.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I use the Crank Brothers speed lever from CRC. A tyre hasn't beat me yet.

samuri
    Free Member
    IanMunro
    Free Member

A tight tyre is like a beautiful woman fatsimon. You've got to treat it with love and sensitively squeeze it in the right places.

thepurist

Mrs P's got the same rims on her bike – they are a frikkin nightmare to get anything on/off. I swapped some tyres from my bike to hers – on mine it was a doddle using my bare hands – on hers it took that BM tip plus some hefty tyre levers to get them on/off.

New rims – you know it makes sense.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

trying to get some Conti tyres on my rims

To be honest, I only looked at this thread to confirm my guess that this was about Conti tyres. I was right. I stopped buying them years ago and I've never had a problem since.

BlingBling
    Free Member

My missus also has those rims and no matter what make tyre you use it's still a nightmare to get them on!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had this problem a few weeks ago, kenda nevegal folding onto a dt 5.1 rim. i've never had a tyre i could'nt get on, and i could'nt get this one on.

quite by accident i turned the wheel at one stage, previuosly i'd been trying to seat it in the one spot (by the valve i think). it immediatly went on in the new spot with no sweat. don't know why, but it worked for me.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

talc/baby powder inside tyre and pedros dh tyre lever

DezB
    Free Member

Samuri's link + Steel cored levers + MTFU = Success 😉

jimmy

trying to get some Conti tyres on my rims(Sun black eye)

Have the very same problem. They were semi-slicks to go on the SO's bike so she can commute to work. Balls to changing them over every weekend, they're going back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

samuri – Member

any tyre, any rim, no levers.

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3263

some combinations are impossible without levers. I have a couple of sets of wheels that with the wrong tyre there is no way it can be done without levers. And I do know how to remove and fit tyres properly.

Kramer
    Free Member

Wot TJ said.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Just a quick one to thanks to everyone who posted in the end used a combination of BM way and brute force(MTFU)and tyre levers and they went on,think iam going to have to get some diffrent rims as i not doing this every time i get a puncture 😳

p.s off out for a ride as iam on holiday yippeeeee!!!

aracer
    Free Member

start at the valve and get what you can on.

Exactly the wrong thing to do. You can't get the bead into the rim well properly next to the valve, hence you don't get quite as much slack as if you finish at the valve. Slightly surprised to see that BM article gets it wrong also, but I suppose it does seem counter-intuitive.

neilnevill
    Free Member

as aracer says. School boy error by BM.

sv

+2 on starting to take the tyre of at the valve.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘how to get barst**d tight tyres back on rim’ is closed to new replies.