Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • how to get a tyre on that does not want to go
  • vondally
    Free Member

struggling to get a schwable onto a stans arch tried

brut strength
    tyre levers

sat with cracked and bleeding thimbs so come tell me how to do it

twicewithchips
    Free Member

struggling to resist the urge to ask you about wheel size

have you got the bead down in the well of the rim?
    bit of washing up liquid?

vondally
    Free Member

yes to washing liquid

wheel size 29er wirh a 28 Sammy slick did the rear one some issues but brute force won

Daffy

Put the tyre in HOT water for 5 minutes and then try again.

project
    Free Member

Be careful you dont snap the bead, as above washing up liquid round the tyre bead and on the rim

Junkyard
    Free Member

banging the tyre gently in the ground [ tread side down]. This can reduce tension in the tyre where seated and give a bit more play for the last bit

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ah the old Schwalbe/Stans issue

imagine how hard your trying now, imagine doing that 10 miles from nowhere in the cold/rain

vondally
    Free Member

Daffy hot water thanks and then enough washing liquid

dirtyrider that worries me

dannyh
    Free Member

Vondally.

Dirtyrider has a good ‘real-world’ point there. Supposedly great tyres are no use if you can’t get them back on when it’s pissing down and you really need them to go back on!

Panaracer and/or conti with DT rims in tubed set ups always made my piss boil.

pictonroad

Google it. Some Schwalbe tyres and Stans rims from certain batches are incompatible. People on here will tell you they can do it with their fingers and you don’t know your tyre onions. They don’t work, I and many others have tried, save the tyres rims and your sanity and get something else.

Cue;

wilko1999
    Free Member

Have you tried repeating the big 3 swear words over and over at the top of your voice? Not sure it helps technically but I’ve never got a Schwalbe City Jet on yet without doing it

teadrinker
    Free Member

what tyres do work with Stans? I’m looking at a new wheelset but staying away from Stans for this reason. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

mcnultycop

It was older Scwalbe wasn’t it? I had a Fat Albert that took forever to get on a Flow. I had a puncture on the trails a few months later and it came off the rim and went back on with no drama at all. Odd.

cyclebiker

Stan’s crest and continental do not like each other from my experience. Took me over an hour to get a x king (29er) on the other day.

I dread to think what I would do should I actually get a flat!!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Teadrinker, from experience Maxxis High Rollers, Minions and Advantages, along with Specialized Purgatory, Butcher and Ground Control all go on Arch EXs really easily

vondally
    Free Member

with my Flows all bontagers no probs, contis king wtb no problems

archs bit more of a struggle but tonight a mare

taxi25
    Free Member

Put it on as far as you can, place the wheel on the floor between you legs and run your hand all around the tyre
    Squeezing and stretching the bead into the rim well. Use your thumbs and palms to leaver the tyre on to the rim. Honestly in 40yrs of fitting tyres I’ve never failed yet.

takisawa2

Hang something heavy up with it, overnight.
    I do this to wire beads, but they stretch a bit anyway once inflated.
    Not sure if it works on folders. Should do.

pictonroad

Told you, I find Maxxis, on one & Geax tyres go on Stans with fingers.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I normally sneak up on them when they’re not expecting it.

tenfoot

Told you, I find Maxxis, on one & Geax tyres go on Stans with fingers.

Currently struggling with a High Roller on Arch. My rear Conti MK was a bugger too.

Maybe I need to refine my technique. Never had a problem on other rims.

plyphon
    Free Member

I returned my stans hope wheel and got one with a mavic rim for this exact reason.

Life is too short to **** about for an hour putting a tyre on

superfli
    Free Member

I had a right nightmare a while back with 26″ Crests + Racing Ralph UST. So so tough. I have Arch+Flows as well, never really had too much bother with them. Tried conti’s, Maxxis and other Schwable tyres on the crest and all went on with not too much trouble.
    I ended up soaking the tyre in soapy water, running 1 strip of Stans tape (I usually double wrap), and removed valve. Went on eventually.

Got a puncture on first fkn use! It wasnt too tough to remove and put inner tube in though.

tenfoot

I’m at a bit of loss now really. Spent half the afternoon trying to get my High roller on, but have to use tyre levers, which pinch the tube. I don’t normally resort to using levers, but there’s no way it’ll go on any other way. Even tried heating the tyre up, as smoeone mention above.

I know the proper answer is to go tubeless, but can anyone recommend a tyre which will go on easily. Seems odd that I am struggling with High Rollers and Mountain Kings when others aren’t.

(Sorry for highjack)

TiRed

Change tyres. I had the same with some NN’s on Crest. Never again. Broke two blue levers and gored a knuckle. This AFTER using the washing liquid, dropping the bead in the rim, moving the tyre around the rim… It wasn’t worth it. Some combinations are not to be.

Conti Mountain X went on without levers and inflated tubeless with a simple push of the track pump. Their grip is dreadful, mind, but it showed me what a good tyre rim combination can be like.

Honestly in 40yrs of fitting tyres I’ve never failed yet.

Nor I – until Schwalbe/Crests, try them 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Big metal tyre levers.

timidwheeler

I’ve got a furious Fred on a Crest. It needs a tire lever to get it on but otherwise is no issue. I’ve also used ground controls and mountain kings. Never had a problem getting the tire on the rim. Getting the bloody things to inflate tubeless on the other hand has been the cause of much swearing.

Russell96

Use spoon handles and if you bend one make sure it’s not from the Missus fave cutlery set.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Nor I – until Schwalbe/Crests, try them

There’s something funny going on though as I have never had a problem getting Schwalbes on Crests – NNs, RRs and Fat Alberts so there must be quite a lot of variation between different types.

TiRed

Mine were NN Evo Tubeless Ready Pace star. And they never got as far as tubeless. I even tried stretching them with a tube for a week at 60+ PSI.

oldnick

Had a Maxxis fall off a crest rim, yet all Schwalbes go on fine, utterly failed to get maxxis or Schwalbe onto AC Race rims, but Bonty and Spesh went on fine.

Funny how car and m/c tyres just work every time but but bike tyres don’t on a regular basis.

Northwind

Some TLR Schwalbes were out of spec by design, madly enough, Schwalbe thought they’d work better that way. Wasn’t just Stans, it caused problems with other rims as well (I could get mine onto my 819s but they wouldn’t bead correctly, even with lube on the beads and 100psi in a tube. As far as I understood, though, they changed the spec or un-****ed their quality control or both.

Usually no problems with the CST brands- Maxxis, Specialized, On One, etc. Well made and designed right as a rule.

marko75
    Free Member

I had the same problem last week with NN and crests. Lost lots of skin on my knuckles and ending up strapping some fingers together as the missus saw they were blue.

I ended up getting park tools levers (previously used ones which came with my multitool) , bead in well and a bit of effort. It worked but I dread teh puncture in the middle of no where!

tenfoot

Was thinking about putting a Purgatory upfront anyway, so might try that, if Spesh tyres are going on ok.

I bought some crap halfords metal levers, and have marked the rims. What a silly billy 😳

antigee

as I get older tyres seem harder and harder to fit! and I thought it was just me and not just swalbes and stans though I did think I was in one of the circles of dantes inferno

twicewithchips – Member

……have you got the bead down in the well of the rim?

that would be my tip check and push the tyre very hard to make sure the rim is seated

sq225917
    Free Member

Use thinner rim tape. The thickness of the rim tape increases the effective diameter of the rim making tyres harder to fit.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘how to get a tyre on that does not want to go’ is closed to new replies.