Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to get a bike posted from the states (ex wife content)
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I went over to the states this summer and left my cove stiffee there as I was supposed to be moving over with my wife. However she has split up with me and the bike (+ a guitar and some other stuuf) is still in the US. She had a quote from fed ex of $730 (£500) just to ship the bike. Its in Boston if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions of how to get it over?

Also what will happen about import duties? The bike was bought over here in bits but all of it will have import duty paid on it (canadian frame, tiwaness forks, japanese shifters, german brakes…). Will I be able to get out of vat (already paid it), import duites ( some one has already paid it)?

Thanks for any help

Martin

bruneep

cheap return flight?

tall_martin

I thought about that, but Doubt I could keep my self civil 🙁

RealMan
    Free Member

cheap return flight and a good mate who would like a quick trip to america?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

She had a quote from fed ex of $730 (£500) just to ship the bike.

That sounds more than a bit steep. Find the closest LBS that does mail order and ask their advice and then send details to your ex?

Curly68
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your split. I have just had a frame delivered from the states and it cost $58. A whole bike shouldn't cost much more. Probably better to go across and pick it up. Failing that a nice neighbour or local bike shop to pack and ship it for you?

tall_martin

Curly, what company delivered it, and how long did it take? She has already had the bike packed up.

Martin

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Parcel to go will collect from the USA and deliver to the UK.. It needs to be boxed.

I would have thought £200 to £300

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your split. I have just had a frame delivered from the states and it cost $58. A whole bike shouldn't cost much more

not so, looked into this previously. Once the weight and size goes up the price rockets.

tall_martin

Cynic-al did you find any good prices for getting things delivered?

I thought it would cost £100-£200

njee20
    Free Member

Most shipping companies will use 'volumetric weight' too, so every centimetre of box counts, the smaller she can pack it the cheaper it will be, can make a massive difference with some couriers.

I'd phone a local bike shop, ask how they do. Maybe she can drop the bike to them and they can ship to you, if you pay them, plus a small convenience fee or sommat!

tall_martin

$600 for the seven seas people, best advice yet!

Martin

TooTall
    Free Member

You'll not find cheaper. It might be worth trying the ex-pat websites and see whether anyone is moving a house-load from USA to UK from the area your bike is in. I have wrangled this one many times.

Curly68
    Free Member

Just had a look on the box for you. It was United States Postal Service his end then Parcelforce Worldwide got it here. Plus I got charged £37.55 in VAT and Parcelforce charges!

timbercombe
    Free Member

"not so, looked into this previously. Once the weight and size goes up the price rockets."
    Split it into two boxes? Even if your wife has to pay a LBS $20 to take wheels and forks off, could this be feasible and save money in the long run?

njee20
    Free Member

Bike shops that ship lots of bikes don't charge $600 to do so, so there must be couriers out there doing it, even if they ship it for you.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to get a bike posted from the states (ex wife content)’ is closed to new replies.