Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to fix a log on the trail
  • JoeG
    Free Member

Yesterday, some d***head took a chainsaw out and cut through a number of logs on the local trails. These logs were left in place to add a little bit of challenge when the trail was originally built in 2010, others had fallen since but they were all ridable by a pretty average rider. The logs are maybe 8 inches in diameter, so just laying the cut section back across the trail won’t work as it will just move around when an wheel hits it.

So, I’m looking for ideas on how to undo their helpfulness and restore the logs to a ridable state. How can I do this?

Yes, we had approval from the municipality that owns the park to build the trail. The trails are multi-use (foot and mtb) so compromises have to be made by everyone. And I have personally removed some logpiles built by bikers that caused problems for walkers. The logs that were removed were easy to step over…

wolly
    Free Member

A couple of pegs either side?

bratty

Bag it and bin it.

O hang on, ignore that, I have just read the post and not just the title…

theblackmount
    Free Member

Drag one of the remaining sections back over. Dowel, peg and or batten the cut section back in. Find some more logs. Can’t be that difficult if it’s really that important to you…

wwaswas

If it was done with a chainsaw then chances are the person doing it was authorised. I’d either just cut a slightly different line that takes you over the log to the left or right of the now gap or accept it. Trying to build something more obviously ‘made as an obstacle’ is going to lead to further conflict with either the land owner or other users.

honourablegeorge

wwaswas – Member

If it was done with a chainsaw then chances are the person doing it was authorised.

That’s so not true… 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

if the trails are multi use I’d look at making obstacles cover only 3/4 of path (ie leave sufficient access for walkers/family riders) so that it is truly usable for all

Northwind

I’d just cut ’em tbh. Takes a while with handsaws though.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’d just cut ’em tbh. Takes a while with handsaws though.

Are you talking about the **** that chainsawed the logs that we intentionally left on the trail? 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

Update – I went back to that park for the first time since the logs were cut for a quick fatbike ride to test my new pogies. 🙂 And I met the guy who did the sawing. He was out there again with his saw. There were some new trees down that needed to be cut, so that was good.

When I asked why he cut the logs that were left in place when the one trail was built, he said something along the lines of “I ride really fast through there and they slow me down.” 😯

To which I replied “That is exactly why they were left there, to slow the bikes down as these are not bike trails, but multi-use trails! Did you join the trailbiulders email list? There is a big sign on bulletin board at the parking lot…

Him – no, I looked at the website and there is nothing new on it. Me – well, you know it is the middle of winter…

Then he said something about it was a problem when he x-c skied the trail. And that he has like 8 bikes and rides all over. And that he night rides here (ok w/ a permit) and at another park (which is not open to night riding at all!).

I really have the feeling that he’s going to create a sh1tstorm somehow and then not be around to clean up the mess that he created! I will replace those log this weekend! 😈

ndthornton
    Free Member

Get your own chainsaw and cut down another tree so it falls across the trail.

oreetmon
    Free Member

tarmac it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to fix a log on the trail’ is closed to new replies.