Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to fix a leaky sunroof?
  • 40mpg

My daughters car has a pop up sunroof which has leaked for a while, I just cant get to the bottom of it though.

So far I’ve tried:
    Vaseline on the seal – no luck
    Remove seal, clean and replace – no luck
    Bed seal in mastic – no luck
    Replace seal – no luck
    Fit a second seal round the outside of the first (ie double seal) – no luck

Finally a bought some expensive waterproof duct tape and taped the glass/frame joint completely – still bloody leaks!

This morning there was about a litre of clear water sat on the bin liner she wisely keeps on her seat. Its dripping in from the ceiling lining where there’s a dip behind the sun visor, and can be either driver of passenger side depending if the cars on a side slope at all.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BQXBr7]2016-01-03_08-13-12[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Cmm7uW]2016-01-03_08-13-30[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CmmamY]2016-01-03_08-13-56[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

Any other suggestions? This is driving me (and her) nuts!

falkirk-mark

Are the drains blocked

zippykona

Tape up the outer edge as well. Spray a hose pipe over it. If it doesn’t leak take off the tape over the glass. If it leaks you’ve narrowed it down a bit.
    And what he said^^

mttm
    Free Member

As above, check the drains aren’t blocked. Normally two on the front that drain to door openings or wheel arches, and two on the back that run to the hatch. Look for little rubber non-returns that might have got gunked up.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Not a Clio is it?
    They often leak around the aerial and the water runs further back so you think that it’s the sunroof.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There was a bit on a leaky sunroof on an episode of Wheeler Dealers a while back. If I recall correctly it was leaking from the hinge side (so the front edge) and the front edge of the glass panel had lifted a bit. His fix was to bend the metal leaves of the glass part of the panel, that formed part of the hinge mechanism, up a bit to pull the front edge of the glass down so it pressed against the seal more firmly.

In another episode he had a leaky side window on some frameless doors (the BB7 episode I think) and he used short sections of rubber hosing to pack out the rubber door seal so it pressed more firmly against the glass window.

Might not be exactly the symptoms or causes in your case, but might give you some ideas how to address.

matt_outandabout

I used gutter silicone sealant on outside gap between glass and seal on our Yaris. It worked for last three years.

40mpg

Ah yeah first thing I did was check the drains. Forgot that! They were fine.

Bikemike – it is a Clio! I’ll have a look at that thanks but I’m sure its lower than the sunroof and at the back so I’m surprised water would run right to the front. It’s parked on dead flat generally.

easygirl

The Clio sunroofs are notorious for leaking
    You need to take the sunroof out altogether, take the glass out , remove the trim and undo the 10 mm nuts that hold the frame in, then reseal
    I did my sons Clio and this cured it

easygirl

easygirl

40mpg

Cheers easygirl. I didn’t realise there was another seal under the frame. I’ll tape it to see if that stops water getting in then follow the vid if we ever get a dry day

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

As already mentioned especially with old Clios, it’s nearly always the drain holes, welding wire sorts it until it blocks again!!

Even worse when it happens to an old Laguna with electric everything and water gets into the expensive BSI unit (box full of relays) and causes mayhem 😯

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to fix a leaky sunroof?’ is closed to new replies.