Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How to fit a spring to a coil shock that's a bit too long?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’ve got a 550 X 2 spring to fit in my cane creek inline, it’s about 10mm too long to slot the spring plate on.

I’ve tried compressing the spring and then cable tieing the coils, but I’m not getting enough still.

Are there any tricks to fitting a coil that’s a bit too long to go straight on?

Cheers

Ricks

legend
    Free Member

I’d be looking to get the right sized spring, otherwise you’re running a **** load of preload whether you want it or not

rickon
    Free Member

Hmmmm… It’s the right stroke, so assumed that would mean it should fit?

Does free length not differ between weights, even if the stroke is different?

legend
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen free length vary with weight before. Is it a Cane Creek spring?

rickon
    Free Member

Yep. Got a 450, 500 and 550. All cane creek, the 550 is about 10mm longer.

If it was fitted, it’s actually be under very close to zero preload, it’s just getting the spring plate on needs to be about 10mm lower than the end of the shock shaft to fit on.

teethgrinder

What length is it meant to be? I have a 500lb x 2.25″ going spare. Cane Creek normal steel.

legend
    Free Member

That’d be alright then. Compressing with a load of cable ties would likely do it

sockpuppet

Wrap a long bootlaces round the coils a few times to get a mechanical leverage advantage then hold it with a bunch of cable ties when you’ve pulled it tight

Repeat as needed ratcheting the cable ties up

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How to fit a spring to a coil shock that's a bit too long?’ is closed to new replies.