Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to find a slow puncture in sleeping mat
  • keppoch

I have an Alpkit self-inflating sleeping mat. It goes down after a few hours sleep. I have blown it up and put it through a bath but couldn’t spot a leak. Any other suggestions how to find it or if it is >5 years old should I maybe accept it is a goner and leaking through the fabric?

km79
    Free Member

Maybe?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Dunk it in a bath of water

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boblo
    Free Member

Yep in the bath. You’re not looking hard enough 😉

Cougar

1) Bath.

2) get onto Alpkit.

3) What model is it?

vongassit
    Free Member

Strong fairly liquid/water mix in a squirty bottle.

liam1974

Washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle, inflate mat and spray all over you should see bubbles appear where the hole is.

keppoch

Ha, if only it was as easy as Stans! But I’m pretty sure that would not go far in the foam.

As above I already tried the bath fairly carefully but this squirty bottle washing up liquid sounds like a plan.

It’s an old thick Alpkit one. Discontinued some while ago.

boblo
    Free Member

….. do it more carefullier… It is a faff wrestling the b’stard but it has to be done 😉

Cougar

It’s an old thick Alpkit one. Discontinued some while ago.

That’s why I asked. Fat Airic? It’ll be the seam between the two sides.

WillH

As above, strong fairy liquid/water mix in a spray bottle. Pump the mattress up hard, in the garden, and spray liberally. It’ll be obvious where the hole is.

We had this in a double-height double bed mattress, no chance of getting it in the bath! Spray method worked a treat, but the hole was by a seam so couldn’t really be patched. Fixed it by squeezing a little bit of silicone sealant into the hole, and then forming a patch of silicone over the outside. Worked a treat.

mattyfez

Seams and valve joints are first places to check with spray if it’s too big to submerge.

twang
    Free Member

Alpkit had issues with the early Airics and replaced FOC IIRC…HTH TTFN

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i have the exact problem so will be trying these tips. probably close to a 10 year old mat for me.

boblo
    Free Member

If it’s the seam, it can be resealed with a warm iron. Go steady and work the temp up or you’ll end up with a bigger leak…

keppoch

Thanks Cougar! I couldn’t remember the name but yes, Fat Airic, that is it!

OK it sounds like I should try the iron on the seams approach. I assume Alpkit would no longer replace.

wwaswas

fill it with water 🙂

Cougar

Alpkit had issues with the early Airics and replaced FOC IIRC…HTH TTFN

I assume Alpkit would no longer replace.

They didn’t offer to replace mine, I chucked it in the end and bought a Thermarest.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yergonnaneedoneoftheseandoneoftheseandsomefairyliquid.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to find a slow puncture in sleeping mat’ is closed to new replies.