Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to dispose of dead carbon parts?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Got a carbon seatpost on its way out. The alloy head has losts it teeth. Can you recycle carbon? or is it landfill?

Stoner
    Free Member

You have to separate the bio-degradeable carbon weave from the synthetic resin. Use a potato peeler.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Try putting some emery cloth between the two worn faces. Has worked for me before, zero slippage for years!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its not bio degradable, its just carbon

Chuck it in the bin, it may get incinerated, otherwise its landfill.

thepodge
    Free Member

Drop it in the plastics bin at your local recycling spot

rootes1

welcome to the world of composites… v hard to recover – grp is a big problem – normally smashed up and landfilled..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

There is only 1 recycling place for Carbon Fibre in the UK
    http://recycledcarbonfibre.com/

I know Trek use them. I doubt any household waste ends up there.
    Maybe the bike industry should create a system to get parts and frames back to these guys.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, its 200g of carbon, even if every cyclist in the UK threw out all their carbon bits I bet we'd struggle to make more than double figures (in tonnes), and we don't throw out that much.

bassspine
    Free Member

As far as I can tell, they dissolve the resin off and chop up the fibre, so I wouldn't actually count that as recycling, more reusing some of it.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

hmm, id like a way of storing stems and on them handlebars from a wall. I was tihnking of getting an old straight handlebar and clamping them on.

I dont imagine a seatpost would work otherwise i would take it for the price of postage and "recycle" it.

BigJohn

Make a very small shoe out of it.

That will reduce your carbon footprint.

bassspine
    Free Member

Big John HAHAHA. Genius!

toys19
    Free Member

There is work afoot to grind stuff like this up and use it in filler in other fibre reinforced polymers.. Some people have done it already.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to dispose of dead carbon parts?’ is closed to new replies.