Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How to design wire frames? (how to get your head around the design?)
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I want to create a wireframe design with processing.org (java-code based software).

I know how to make basic spheres, cubes etc but, if for example, I want to make a dragon, how do you begin the design? Break it down into primitive shapes?

Any suggested reading / tutorials?

Thanks a lot

IA

First up, the question’s a bit muddled I think.

You want a 3D model – wireframe is just one way to render it.

And “create a 3D model in programming language X” is a bit of an odd request. Especially as you say “wireframe”, apologies if i’m being an idiot/asking a daft question, but I seem to recall you or someone else asking stuff before and perhaps following a course? Are you sure you’re not actually trying to wireframe an app or website?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Website_wireframe

That out the way, I’d start by drawing one. Look up 3D modelling tutorials in blender etc. if you want a free way to start trying out some 3D modelling.

How it’s actually made from polygons isn’t that big a deal, though there are various options. E.g. you could draw/define the shape in 3D then mesh it with triangles approximating the curves – more triangles, better approximation.

Think of the problem in 2d. If you draw a straight line, how would you programatically draw that? If you draw a curve, what now? What about if you scaled that curve?

Finally, if you’re determined to do this programmatically it’s worth brushing up on your linear algebra if it’s not already strong. You don’t need much, but understanding multiplication, representing scaling/rotating/translating and the corresponding matrices, and projection etc. will be very worthwhile/necessary.

EDIT: I assume you mean 3D – maybe you don’t? Give a little more info and I can maybe provide pointers. I code 3D applications in Java as part of my work so can maybe point you in the right places to get started.

IA

My first question – if it sounds daft, it’s because the question sounds like a design one then goes off into graphics. E.g. google “create a wireframe design”

seosamh77
    Free Member

fusion 360 is another great 3d tool. aimed more at engineering and the like, but there’s no reason why you couldn’t make a dragon.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes, maybe it wasn’t a clear as it should be.

I’m doing a BSc and one of the modules is creative computing. The very arty side of computing. For example, the last assignment was a couple of essays about Banksy and guerilla art, making a processing project and then another essay on how your work was inspired by / linked to Banksy.

This assignment is very similar but instead of Banksy, it’s Andy Scott, the guy who designed The Kelpies. It must be done with processing.

My best idea so far, for the creative aspect, is to make some sort of mythical creature (dragon sprung to mind) with a 3D wireframe (no, not the web design type wire frame) to represent the engineering aspect of Scott’s work.

As I said, I can make spheres, pyramids, cubes etc in processing. Pretty (very) straight forwards. However, I can’t imagine how to being when it is a more complex shape such as a dragon. If it were to be written purely with 3D co-ordinates then either I can’t see the method or you need a MENSA level of intellect to draw those shapes with co=-ords.

I used Blender once years ago to make a vase full of water. That’s as much as I remember. I think you made something with Google Sketch and then exported it. I think I could manage that with processing but that has infinite symmetry* on one plane.

IA – The interaction aspect will be very basic (obviously I don’t know what you mean by applications), maybe something like mouse controls the camera or similar, but yes, basically, I want to create a 3D ‘thing’ in a Java variant. The stumbling block as regards my research for tutorials is it must be in processing.

*correct term?

AlexSimon

Processing look fantastic! I hadn’t heard of it before.

After a quick look, I wondered whether the route to take might be to allow Processing to dictate a little bit what the art becomes. i.e. the code is the art and the outcome might not be entirely predictable*.

A quick look at the code for curves makes it look pretty doable though:
    https://processing.org/tutorials/curves/

*Edit: like a continuous generator, or a form which takes on a life of it’s own.

IA

Ok, I get you.

Right, looking at https://processing.org/tutorials/p3d/ it looks like it’s basically a thin wrapper round openGL calls, so reading up on OpenGL might provide you some background or relevant info. Certainly you shouldn’t have too much difficulty following openGL tutorials with processing – the syntax will be different but that should be no big deal.

There’s a particular openGL book i’d recommend, that focusses mainly on techniques and the maths rather than the language (the example are openGL calls in C) but i’m not at my desk so can’t check, sorry. Blue cover and quite thin..not much help I know!

Anyway, if you asked me to render a wireframe dragon in processing, from a quick look at the link above I’d start by making a simple test object in blender and exporting it as a simple file format (OBJ, PLY, maybe even just XYZ points, VRML etc.) – then I’d knock up an importer to read it in and render it. Either vertex-by-vertex or poly by poly, depending on the format.

Then once that worked, I could make a more complex model and load that.

Though maybe you want something more complex? I’d only expect the above to be 1-200 lines of code for a simple file format.

As you’re learning I don’t want to just tell you how to do it, and I can think of lots of other ideas too…but I’d choose something that lets you be creative, not where you’re bashing your head against the code.

Klunk
    Free Member

just need to write a script (in the modelling package of choice, Blender for example) that converts a tri-mesh into process code. Quite common, 3ds max comes with a script that converts a tri-mesh into c++ code that can be compile within a plugin to generate the mesh as a wireframe as Helper Icon for example. Then all you need to do is create the model in Blender (though that might be easier said than done 🙂 )

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks, from googling a little based on the replies up there, I’ve discovered that I can export an OBJ file from Blender and then import the same format into processing. The leaves 2 questions:

1) Is learning how to make something like it in Blender worth it for 60% of an assignment which only makes 10% of the module, of which there are four per year. Depends how quickly I pick it up, I guess.

2) Would using blender heavily in an assignment where you should “design and interactive Processing sketch…” be penalised?

I’ll try to find that book, or similar IA.

Yes, processing is fantastic. In the first year, it was a great introduction to understanding recursion, arrays etc and being able to see the results of the code and maths you’ve written.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How to design wire frames? (how to get your head around the design?)’ is closed to new replies.