Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • How to deal with theft at work?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Webcam on top of monitor, sign saying ‘CCTV monitoring in progress’, and leave your computer on.

No need to record anything, that should be enough. Put a few more webcams about the office, no need to plug them in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Porridge packet opened and left, 2 days later a note explaining what you did to it. See who is still there

yossarian
    Free Member

you do sound a bit volatile TuckerUK, but very employable I’m sure.

xiphon
    Free Member

Bake some space cakes.

johnellison
    Free Member

Assassination often works well.

Zed
    Free Member

my experience.
    medium sized uni in SW, items started to go missing, from food to expensive items.
    cameras used, caught cleaner red handed.
    police called and we were accused of entrapment and told the camera footage was irrelevant. only course of action is ‘localized resolution’. basically sack the cleaner.
    sacked cleaner, with no job he decided to enrol on 1 of our courses.
    was recognized after a few days and escourted off campus.
    now we have been told he is receiving legal aid and is pursuing a compensation claim against the uni for denying him his human right to an education. obviously there is no record or conviction for the thefts, just the camera footage!

molgrips
    Free Member

police called and we were accused of entrapment

It’s only entrapment if you start leaving stuff out for him specifically to nick, isn’t it?

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s only entrapment if you start leaving stuff out for him specifically to nick, isn’t it?

I can’t remember the exact terminology but its about not presenting someone with an opportunity to steal that wouldn’t have otherwise existed. This is why its hugely important to set up surveillance formally and not to try and lay traps.

Hells

Put a dead (or toy) cockroach/ mouse/ rat in the box/ packet/ drawer!!

I heard a story once about somebody who used to do environmental health training courses in London, he usually carried a stuffed rat (dead one) in his bag!

If he aver saw anybody eyeing up his bag he would open it and have enough of a rummage around that the rat could be seen! 😕 😯 😀

paulwilsonmtb
    Free Member

Putting any kind of substance inside food/packaging that might be detrimental to a person’s health could get you arrested for administering poison or something, and that carries a bit of a lengthy jail sentence.

Why not just leave some buscuits out for the cleaners? and lock your own stuff in the drawer? far less fuss.

composite
    Free Member

Web cam set to detect movement and record a clip. Caught a security guy nicking electrical stuff from one of the technicians offices, at a previous university I worked at.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s only entrapment if the person is encouraged to commit the offence, simply presenting them with an opportunity to do so isn’t.

beaker

A colleague of mine used to leave his lunchbox in the communal fridge. In the lunchbox was a Kitkat which started getting nicked on a daily basis. One day said colleague had enough of this and took his Kitkat to the bog. Whilst in the bog he wiped his (chocolate) starfish with the Kitkat. This was when they were wrapped in foil and easy to unwrap and wrap back up. He put it back in the lunch box and got on with his work. Lo and behold it wasn’t there by lunch. He let it be known that afternoon what he’d done. The rumour was that one person went very pale when told and the Kitkat never went missing again.

McHamish
    Free Member

Take one packet of biscuits, open them and carefully take out each biscuit (helps to be a packet that is easy to get them back into).

Go out and rub each one on a dog turd.

Stick it back in the packet and place in your drawer.

Watch gleefully as day after day the biscuits vanish.

Then place a packet of worming tablets in the drawer with a note that the last packet had dog poo on and the tablets may be required.

Make sure you hide any future biscuits/food to ensure they don’t try to get some revenge.

Disclaimer: Given the current litigation culture you may find yourself being disciplined for rubbing your own biscuits in dog poo. You could claim that you have a wierd fetish and what you do with your own biscuits is up to you. The worming tablets were put in the drawer because you were concerned about the wellbeing of the person taking your biscuits.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just lock her stuff away as simple as that no need to retaliate because if the thief can steal her stuff, s/he would be doing the same to others so sooner or later the person will get into trouble. Just don’t leave stuff lying around. I always clear my desk after work to avoid agitation.

st

Or just keep the drawer door locked, it’s a sad state if affairs but the same could be said for having to keep your doors at home locked.

People will be people.

singletrackmind

You need a glitter bomb.
    If its the cleaners , which it prob is, Make it harder for them to clean up.
    Buy a box of party popper. Remove the cardboard top and the lame streamers . Re – fill the party popper with an assortment of choice ingredients. You could use glitter , flour , talcum powder etc. If you are a little more creative ( evil ) use 2 x poppers and see if some ink could be put inside the party popper as well .
    Attatch 6 in a fan arrangement inside the drawer so once opened the whole lot go off in an amazing glitter / flour ./ ink spectacularo explosion
    The cleaner who walks around looking like a Smurf with glitter in their hair is probably the culprit

mrmoofo

Does she work with any bears ?

yossarian
    Free Member

The cleaner who walks around looking like a Smurf with glitter in their hair is probably the culprit

We use talcum powder bombs to mark suspected dealers. We put little talcum bomb devices above suspended ceiling tiles in the male toilets in a couple of blocks where we know gear is getting knocked out. Then it’s just a case of spot the student, they’d have no other reason to be lifting ceiling tiles other than to stash gear.

grievoustim
    Free Member

mrmoofo – Member
    Does she work with any bears ?
    POSTED 15 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Well she is a woman, and we know women attract bears

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Like one of the earlier posts we were having random things happening at work, stuff going missing but reappearing weeks later. We had an instance where our milk changed, we normally have semi skimmed but then there was full fat in fridge, of course you question yourself on if you mistakenly bought the correct one, but it happened a couple of times, why? Ever stranger some work for a customer had been painted green and was left overnight to harden off, when we came in the next morning they were black!
    The guy who paints for us was sure he’d painted them green but he convinced himself he must have made a mistake?
    We all had a warning that this Tom foolery had to stop ( my MD actually used those words) but a few minor things still went missing over the next few weeks and the management stepped up its security and it all stopped.
    Anyway about a month later I’m at a wedding and I’m telling the tale to a lad who use to work with us and he says they didn’t ask for the keys back when he left and just smiled at me, he later admitted it was him who came in at night just for devil ment and a laugh! He hadn’t actually stolen anything it was all hidden in the works, I found it where he said it was, but I’ve left it alone to be found by some other person. He actually told me of other things he’d done that we hadn’t even realised, he’d moved all the pictures in the offices and boardroom round and nobody noticed:-)
    Mad as a hatter.

bigyinn
    Free Member

How about some sort of permanent ink / dye so that they can’t avoid getting it on their fingers when they go stealing?

CountZero

Just dust the biscuits with the hottest chilli powder you can lay your hands on, or get some ghost chillis, slice them, (carefully, wearing gloves), and put the slices on the bikkies for a couple of days, to let them ‘marinade’, then replace them in the packet.
    The person going purple and running for the nearest cold water supply is likely guilty, and unlikely to do it again. 😈

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

We had stuff go missing at work and it got worse and worse, dewalt drills, laptops, money etc. etc. Then someone said a friend of a friend had seen one of the cleaners trying to sell the stuff down the pub. We got the police involved who ended up doing a raid on Christmas Day. However nothing was found. After the raid he phoned in, gave a load of abuse about mistrust, ruining his Christmas etc. and told us to sick the job as he didn’t want to work with a company who didn’t trut him. However a the thefts stopped after he left!

On the practical joke side. My wife and I once called in at my parents house and they were out and for some reason we thought it would be funny to change all the clocks in the house an hour forward. They never realised for ages and were getting confused as to why all the tv program’s were wrong and only clicked when the 9 o’clock news came on at ten.

pinetree
    Free Member

I’d completely forgotten about this, but I thought it was due for an update, seeing as there’s been some significant developments over the past couple of months.

Firstly- the security staff at the Uni came in and placed hidden cameras in the office a few months ago, and left them there for over 3 weeks. Someone must have tipped the thief off about it, as nothing went missing during this time.
    After 3 and a bit weeks, the cameras were moved to a different office in the same building, where thefts had been reported.
    A week later, and a thief has been caught! 😀

Turns out it was what we thought all along- one of the night porters. Apparently a few of the people in my missus’ office knew who he was (a right scummy wee bastard)
    When they told him he was being sacked for theft, he started kicking off, threatening employment tribunals etc…
    When he was shown the footage and the stack of evidence, and then given the offer of going quietly, or police involvement, he settled down a bit.

So, he’s buggered off now with a permanent black mark on his CV. I don’t like reveling in the demise of others, but this guy had it coming.
    I still reckon they should have got the police involved, but he’s not there any more, and nothing’s gone missing since, so there’s maybe not a great deal of point.
    Oh well…

Cheers!

paver456
    Free Member

id hazard a guess at security guards? at night if they have them? or the fat bastid who’s always eating ??

i hate thieves especially the ones who think its just food and i want it so im taking it attitude..

id sack em personally but my staff dont do this sort of crap

Ro5ey
    Free Member

So nicked your Mrs’ porridge.

But didnt actually get any for being caught.

portlyone

There is something deeply depressing about people feeling the need to steal porridge 😥

pinetree
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    So nicked your Mrs’ porridge.

But didnt actually get any for being caught.

falkirk-mark

Goldilocks hater.

dannybgoode

Just stick one of these in the drawer and see who doesn’t have a head when they attempt the theft:

johndoh
    Free Member

I had similar happen once. I kicked off, turned out it was a director helping herself (and giving other staff) food from my drawer. It was laughed off by her so I took it to the chairman – she only got a ticking off but I got an apology (and her continued disdain). It was a shit place to work.

damascus
    Free Member

My friend used to keep energy drinks in his beer fridge in his garage. His teenage son in law kept drinking them with alcohol etc so when he needed them for riding he wouldn’t have any and it really pist him off. He warned him several times.

In the end he drank half a bottle and then topped it back up with wee and strategicly placed it back in the fridge and again warned him.

He took great delight in telling him after he ignored him.

He then told him he had a few ringers in the fridge. This stopped the problem.

Maybe a few laxatives etc in the porridge would solve the problem?

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘How to deal with theft at work?’ is closed to new replies.