Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • How to deal with seeing someone you can't move on from with another bloke?
  • bradley
    Free Member

So uhh my partner of 7 years and mother to our 2 daughters left in March and I am really struggling to let go and move on. I have aspergers and I’m putting the fact I’m finding it so difficult down to this.

I’ve now clocked (after seeing my daughters and one of them informing me “Oh Luke bought me these boots…”) that there’s another guy involved and this has knocked me for 6. Can’t sleep, lost appetite etc…

How long did it take you to move on? Anything I can do to make it easier?

matther01
    Free Member

I believe it can take anything up to 7 years to fully get over it. I’ve been split up for 8 years and still resent seeing my ex with someone…and I was the one that left! It’s a bloke thing I think.

bradley
    Free Member

I don’t resent her as the split was my fault but I miss her…still…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

shag her sister/mum

JCL
    Free Member

Get on Match and bang some single mums.

cinnamon_girl

🙄 What a charmer eh?

scaredypants

I have no idea if it’s making things worse, I’m sure loads of blokes go through what you are, Asperger’s or not

I’m not sure there’s an easy answer; it’s generally good for kids to have a happy mum AND dad, whether or not they live together. Seems your ex has felt the time’s right and of course it hurts your pride.

Best thing for your girls would be for you to focus on being their dad and, if you can, being a happy dad (not just pretending; kids aren’t daft)

Maybe this’ll help you to move on – see it as that and try to get some sleep/food/joy into your life.

Got many mates about the place? Lean on them for a bit – let them help you out. I bet you’d do it for them

nickc

Honestly?

suck it up buttercup.

DO:
    Get on with your life, have a great relationship with your kids, find things to do with new folk who don’t know your background, join clubs, get out, fill your diary

DON’T
    mull over any past errors (yours or hers), resent your ex for being a normal human being, be bitter, stay indoors and mope.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Don’t drink.

Change your life – a lot.

Live selfishly for a while (obv. not in respect to your kids) and do what’s best for you. E.g. get properly fit, spend lots of time in the great, if wet & cold outdoors, and build yourself an appreciation of yourself and the world around you.

Less than a year on after a 7 year relationship isn’t all that long in comparison; keep your chin up and look to the future.

Rob, absolutely distraught a decade ago which pushed BPD & depression with big bouts of bulimia on me; now fit as ****, pretty good at handstands, loves riding bikes of all kinds anywhere and has a very silly beard :mrgreen:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above but maybe slightly more subtly. Have a blow out, enjoy some different flesh and get her out of your system or at the very least dilute whats in your system.

Failing that go ride your bike.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m afraid that even having been in the same position theres not much better I can offer than ‘time is the greatest healer’

Its obviously even tougher if you’re aspie – you might want to try and write down the bad things too, a proper ‘these were the good things’ and ‘these were the bad things’ list about the relationship, it might help you process it in a more rational way (then throw away the good things list and keep the bad things one taped to the wall?)

as for your kids, the advice I always give is that all you can do for now is be there for them when they need you (my daughter came to live with me nearly ten years after me and my ex split up for example) and that in the long run they need to (and will) make up their own mind about both you and your ex when they are old enough to, so theres no point in trying to brainwash them in the meantime.

for me a really critical point was when her problems and unhappiness continued after we split up, but I was being mr whiter than white reasonable, suddenly the people round her like her mum who had heard it was all my fault started seeing things a bit differently and eventually said so – if I hadn’t been mr perfect then I would have still been getting the blame. (them finally seeing that meant a lot to me)

the only final bit of advice would be to go and get on the horse again, even if its meaningless and casual it will do your self confidence a world of good.

wrecker
    Free Member

You need to spend time with as many women of dubious moral fortitude as you possibly can.
    Get on POFand tinder. Don’t go for any you’d rate higher than a 6 (they’ll have loads of choice and can afford to be picky).
    Or join the foreign legion.whichever.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^^^ (Rob Hilton) Good advice. Live your life by living it, really living it, too wasteful throwing away minutes, hours, days (all become years) etc by chewing over the past. Relationships can make us soft and unfocused. Ill-matched ones moreso. Freedom is a gift too.

siwhite
    Free Member

Try and avoid situations where you’ll see her in general, and her with him in particular. Difficult with children I know, but out of sight is out of mind. It’ll feel counter intuitive as you want to see her, but you need to move on. She has, and you must. The sooner this occurs, the better for all involved.

Concur with above – have some bedroom sport with women of ill repute for a few months…

tang
    Free Member

Time heals for sure. My first serious long term relationship ended with her running off for someone else. I was devastated and seeing her about with the guy was torture. However, 6 years later I was single and she came and found me when I was living abroad, wanted me back. One night together and I knew I’d moved on, and left it there. Rewind a few years and I would have given anything for her to walk back into my life.
    Kids is really hard, I would find it tough. The Blues mate.

legend
    Free Member

JCL – Member

That’s crap advice….. Tinder’s where it’s at these days for easy sex

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Remember that life is very short.

Focus on the positives, your kids and, above all else, be happy. Remember, you should not stress about the things that are out of your control: she has found someone else and you now need to think of YOURSELF.

And always talk to someone. Four of my friends didn’t make 30. Three of them took their own life because of something which depressed them. I often times think that those things would be distant memories now and we’d be happy and riding bikes.

All the best.

chestrockwell

You need to get back on the horse.

Mate of mine’s wife left him with no warning earlier in the year and the divorce has already come through. He really suffered for a good while but has recently been on a few dates, reconnected with old friends and generally put himself back out there and is much happier + like his old self as a result.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s crap advice….. Tinder’s where it’s at these days for easy sex

Grindr, if he really wants to make a fresh start.

legend
    Free Member

well this is true, Grindr would certainly be enlightening. Really should take this into account though: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/number-of-housewives-needing-sex-with-any-male-internet-user-reaching-crisis-point-2014120293427

DezB
    Free Member

Be there for the kids. Don’t slag the wife off in front of them.

If you want to ruin your self-esteem, sign up to Tinder – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-wygant/the-shocking-truth-about-_3_b_4967472.html

kudos100
    Free Member

Grindr, if he really wants to make a fresh start.

Someone showed me this, when I went out for a night in Vauxhall.

From what he was telling me about it, it sounds a bit like ordering pizza. Except the pizza is free.

Jamie
    Free Member

From what he was telling me about it, it sounds a bit like ordering pizza. Except the pizza is free.

….and every topping is hot sausage.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it sounds a bit like ordering pizza

It was a bit more like ordering HotDogs when I was on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

edlong
    Free Member

I believe it can take anything up to 7 years to fully get over it.

I believe it can be a lot longer.

Sorry, that might not be be terribly helpful. Like they all said, go and have some empty, meaningless sex. It won’t make you feel any better, mind.

legend
    Free Member

Well played Jamie, well played 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I honestly think, sausages aside, starting new meaningful relationships/interests are more important.

Banging some random is the same as getting drunk. You’ll still feel like shite the next day.

Well played Jamie, well played

No worries, Birthday Buddy 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ll still feel like shite the next day.

And smell like it. If you use Grindr.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I honestly think, sausages aside, starting new meaningful relationships/interests are more important.

Banging some random is the same as getting drunk. You’ll still feel like shite the next day.
    This is STW there is no place for serious well thought out and mature posts
    Bang someone you neither fancy nor respect. There is no other way to happiness and self respect.

As for how to get over it you need to move on how you do this i your choice but the option range has already been listed.

Welcome back DD I almost e-mailed you it had been that long.

kudos100
    Free Member

I think finding friends with benefits is a better idea. Never lasts, but at least you don’t feel an empty void afterwards.

Must resist making Grindr joke……..

JCL
    Free Member

Like they all said, go and have some empty, meaningless sex.

What you mean it’s supposed to be anything else?

Jamie
    Free Member

Must resist making Grindr joke……..

Just to get all these out my system…

[img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/7caa34f39f5cf5844b127be245672da1/tumblr_ncefmzmAC31s4eknho1_500.gif[/img][img]https://38.media.tumblr.com/29d57a22d40041abf7c9a73a84d70f00/tumblr_mo5oc4p7qm1r6pxn4o1_500.gif[/img]

PiknMix
    Free Member

Remember why you split up in the first place and address those issues first.

Kryton57

I honestly think, sausages aside, starting new meaningful relationships/interests are more important

Honest to God, stw magics up some of the most exceptional one liners from time to time.

billyboy
    Free Member

I recently read a biography of Ulysses S Grant, the US Civil War General and later US President.

He was a flawed personality in several ways (less so than me) and he had this very interesting phobia which I think we could all learn from……………

HE WOULD NOT GO BACK.

No matter the river he was crossing on a horse was in spate and he might drown, he would not go back.

No matter he had been beaten to a standstill by his military opponent, he would not go back.

And, with a bit of reason involved on your part, i.e. don’t drown in the bloody river, it is a very good way to lead your life.

That bit of your life has finished, don’t go back, go foreword, even if foreword is just the next bike ride. And if that isn’t enough, make the next ride a longer one.

I’ve been there. My thoughts are with you. Good luck.

Best wishes, Bill.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Bang uni students….. lots of students……you lucky sob

edd

go foreword, even if foreword is just the next bike ride.

+1
    Small steps and look after yourself, good luck.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Bradley, as a fellow Aspie I can imagine things are pretty tough right now. (Harder than most neurotypicals might appreciate). Is there anyone impartial you can talk to? Spending some time talking to someone that understands Aspergers might be helpful.

bradley
    Free Member

So just sleep about and avoid Grindr like the plague (I already knew this but bravo STW, as per).

I thought I was doing OK with moving on I had managed to convince myself that it’s out of my hands and what will be will be. I’m not so sure why finding out she has been with someone else has taken such effect…It sucks though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How to deal with seeing someone you can't move on from with another bloke?’ is closed to new replies.