Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How to deal with puking toddler at night?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

1) how do you stop puke getting everywhere?
    2) is choking on puke a risk? (she's 1, so seems to me that she'll cough it up, but she could still choke a fair bit)
    3) umm.. any other tips?

tazzymtb

1. you can't it's the joy of little uns
    2. yep although kids tend to projectile vomit quite nicely, we found sleeping propped up with the child snuggled up against you makes sure a: they don't choke and b: it helps to soothe them when they feel like cack.
    3. if possible take turns swapping point 2 with your partner so that both of you get a bit of sleep. Keep a supply of clean stuff to hand and it does get better. Worst we had was three of us with norovirus at the same time when my son was 18 months old, that was a grim few days

lister

Don't think they are likely to choke. We had a rotovirus in the house last year, we were all sick on and off for about 10 weeks (me and mrslister and little listers aged 3 and 14 months)
    It was hell, but the best thing was layers of sheets with towels between them on the bed/cot so you can just peel off layers when needed.
    We had our little girl in bed with us at the end, we moved down the bed and had her between the pillows surrounded by towels.
    We woke everytime she vomited and got really good at pointing her so she didn't get us or her clothes. Just peeled a layer of towels off and chucked them in the garden to hose down the next day!

Our 3 year old got really good at waking and hitting his bedside bucket. We bought him a special bucket and he covered it in stickers. Had it in the car and everything.

Worst 2 months of my life.

Good luck, remember when you're at the end of your tether at 315am that they WILL stop one day… 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Food phobia? :-;

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But seriously – it happens, there is a risk but at that age they can roll so they can and usually do sort themselves out. Cleaning tips above are good.

molgrips
    Free Member

They can roll?

She is all over the place during the night, up, down, upside down, inside out – nocturnal gymnastics… So I guess realistically I am not worried but she could still gasp in a lungful of puke which would certainly not be nice or good for you.

I like the stack of towels idea…

Oh and unfortunately, I am not there to help Mrs Grips out 🙁 And she is already uber stressed out before the puking started 🙁

takisawa2

Big pile of old towels are your best friend with puking kids.
    Not much you can do except have a bowl ready & dont get too stressed with them. Dont think there's much risk of choking at toddler stage, maybe get the baby monitor out if they want to stay in their own bed.
    Chuck the towels in the bath tub & shower off before it dries on too much.
    The joys of parenthood. 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

why is she puking? is she on formula? if so you can get a stay-down formula which may be an idea. our youngest puked a little, mostly as a result of wind, big burps with puke behnid, nice.

hora
    Free Member

Oh great

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

She is all over the place during the night, up, down, upside down, inside out – nocturnal gymnastics…

Well I would hope she is – I was just saying that she is able to move – it is really only a worry when they cannot roll but even then they have an inbuilt gag reflex anyway.

why is she puking? is she on formula?

Good point – have you changed formula or gone onto cow's milk recently? Is she able to burp unaided (most babies of this age can but if she is struggling…)

tinker-belle
    Free Member

when my little one had gastric flu last month (4 months old at the time) I found putting a towel over her like a blanket was great, because if she did puke then I could just replace the towel and not have to change her clothes and bed linen. in the end I found sitting up with her was the best (and most exhauting) because as mentioned above it makes sure they don't choke and provides reassurance.

pedalhead
    Free Member

hora – Member

Oh great

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

She's puking cos she's clearly poorly. She's been irritable, clingy and generally unwell looking for days. And it's actual puke, like you or I would – not just spit up.

No formula either – she's been on a mix of grownup food and baby food for months, she recently went from a morning and bedtime milk feed to just the bedtime one.. I thought that may have been responsible for the clingyness but apparently not.

She's ok tho this morning I'm told – no puke since last night, but she's belching a lot after having some milk.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it is puking because she is ill then (assuming you have been to the docs and there isn't any other reason to be concerned) you just need to learn to clean up after her – unfortunately there is little else to do – just console yourself with the fact that her body knows what to do and she is being sick for a good reason.

Ohh, and don't forget that she will need additional fluids to replace those lost through being sick – perhaps re-introduce a milk feed or make sure she gets plenty of water/juice with her meals.

We have just had a similar sickness bug running through our family (10 month old twins going at it together – proper projectile vomming).

wwaswas

agree – keep the fluids going in, even if they seem to come straight back out again.

re: the projectile vomiting bit – I think that's so they can still get it all down your best suit even if you hold them out at arms length…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

re: the projectile vomiting bit – I think that's so they can still get it all down your best suit even if you hold them out at arms length…

Agreed – Izzi did hit the target about 2 minutes before we were due to go for our first night out together in ages and covered me, her, her grobag, the sofa, the carpet…

Fop
    Free Member

Our 20 month old recently had a virus and couldn't keep anything down. Did similar to above in terms of clean-up.
    Gave her water in 5ml doses by syringe every 5 minutes (hospital advice) and avoided dairy (used soya milk); doctor said dairy can aggravate baby's upset stomachs, unlike in adults.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

we had this for a year with both of ours, it was reflux… both were on liquid gaviscon, retadin and other meds which helped, also prop the head end of the cot up on 2 books, stops the acid hitting the throat. Try that and see what happens, or ask your GP about reflux, its quite common but nasty! god I changed the carpet in the nursey 3 times now

stuey
    Free Member

+1 to more towels
    and you get used to falling asleep with their vomit in your hair.

molgrips
    Free Member

you just need to learn to clean up after her

Oh really? I was thinking about leaving the puke all over. Kind of makes a nice pattern on the wood floors.

(btw it's the sick management part I was after tips on – from those who've been through it and got more experience than I 🙂 )

Try that and see what happens, or ask your GP about reflux,

Mate it's not reflux, it's the vomiting shits. Seriously – just like you or I would have. Anyway she's not puking now and eating.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

reflux can cause problems both ends and major projectile, ours had it 7-8 times a night for weeks before we got a diagnosis, emptied entire stomach every time, one end of the room to the other, we thought it was a stomach bug or a virus but nope reflux, bad case of… seems exactly the same as a somach bug puke to the eye

if you have not had a diagnosis its worth getting one to determine what it is

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hang her upside down (maintaining the airway)from the nearest telegraph pole and relax with a can of Special Brew.

tracknicko
    Free Member

put it in the shed.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Put her in a plastic bag? Take out and hose down every 24 hours? At one year old she won't remember this when she's older so it doesn't count as child abuse.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well it's stopped now 🙂 So not reflux. I'd only take her to the docs when it goes on for longer than I would expect a normal stomach bug to last.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How to deal with puking toddler at night?’ is closed to new replies.