Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • How to deal with a Fixer/Saviour complex?
  • dooge
    Free Member

So, after my post a few weeks ago about my partner, how I felt things were beyond me and I couldnt cope with her health and other factors, I’ve taken a good hard look at myself. I made a list of traits, things I do, ways I think and compiled them over a few weeks.

I believe I have a bit of a fixer complex amongst being a bit of a perfectionist and introvert. The older I get, the more its developed and I am now keen, on my own and away from any relationship, to address it.

I have always wanted to be needed and not wanted. I dont know how to have a relationship with someone who dosent have any neuroses or physical issues because thats who I pretty much have always been with. I bend over backwards to help, do, offer advice (even if its not needed) cancel plans, and generally sacrifice my own wants or needs, to a certain degree, to do what I feel the other half wants. I always have done this because there is some kind of emotional satisfaction from helping but then I get to a point where I feel frustrated, begrudging and angry when I cannot ‘fix’ the problems or the same thinking isnt applied the other way. I always ask if they are ok, just to make conversation. I simply cannot maintain detachment from certain people’s (mum and partner) emotional or physical issues so I either have very close relationships or I keep people at arms length. Most of my friends would probably class me as an acquaintance instead of a friend, bar a few close mates.

I have made an appointment with a counsellor to talk things over and make sure I’m not barking up the wrong tree. Has anyone ever admitted they are like this or gone through a process of overcoming this type of thinking? Im 28, I dont want to enter my 30’s bouncing from one unhealthy relationship to another always wondering why I cant cope, emotionally destroying it and setting myself up for dissapointment.

slackalice
    Free Member

Ask if your Counsellor uses Transactional Analysis. Within this there is the Drama Triangle of Helper, Persecutor and Victim. In most relationships we generally move from one to the other, with a tendency towards one in particular.

A viable read for you might be ‘ I’m Okay and You’re Okay’ quite a popular book about 20years or so ago and still holds it’s value for some nowadays.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘How to deal with a Fixer/Saviour complex?’ is closed to new replies.