Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How to cut thin (1.5mm) PVC sheet?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

i need to cut up few large pieces of sheet PVC, 1.5mm thick.

Too thin for a saw, too thick for scissors. wha’ts going to get through it?

stanley knife?
    tin-snips?

Stoner
    Free Member

steel rule and stanley blade, assuming you’re doing straight lines.

nickjb
    Free Member

How in neat does it need to be? You won’t get through it in one pass with a Stanley and it will be easy to slip off line even with a steel edge. Tin snips will cut it but might be a pain on a big sheet.

I’d go with a jigsaw and a fine blade possibly on a bit of sacrificial timber to support it.

benp1

I would have said use a fine toothed saw with something solid against the edge

nealglover
    Free Member

Vey fine bladed pull saw will do it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Stanley, first pass score it, second pass quite gentle cut on score line that now acts an extra cutting guide then final cut. Use sharp new Stanley with retractable blade and set it right in so you don’t slip and slash your leg….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll try with a stanley knife. I’ve got a bit of spare for a couple of failed attempts…

granny_ring

Slight hijack sorry, best way to cut 6mm polycarbonate sheet is…..?
    Might need to trim some offcuts for some windows in the mancave.

Edric64
    Free Member

6MM poly I cut with a jigsaw when fitting new panels in bus shelters

granny_ring

Cheers which blade do I use, cant remember which ones I got with the saw?

Edric64
    Free Member

I used a wood saw blade make sure it is newish and do it fairly slowly or it melts the plastic .I found this out on site with a knackered blade luckily the cut edge gets hidden !

russ295
    Free Member

Sharp Stanley blade and it should snap very easily.
    I regularly cut sheet aluminium the same way.
    Edit:- Not for 6mm tho, jigsaw or circular depending finish required.

footflaps

I used a wood saw blade make sure it is newish and do it fairly slowly or it melts the plastic .I found this out on site with a knackered blade luckily the cut edge gets hidden !

I cut a cat flap in a sheet of 8mm with a jigsaw and it re-sealed behind the blade as the blade friction melted it. Took several attempts to actually make a cut which stayed cut!

granny_ring

Angle grinder an option?

sargey

Granny-ring,where are you based?

nickjb
    Free Member

For PC an angle grinder is not a good option. It’ll melt and give a poor finish. You really want it to work the material a little so the bits come off in reasonable sized chips. Slower moving blade (like a jigsaw) will be better and try and move along the material fairly quickly.

hooli

I recently used a bosch multi tool and a straight edge to cut some upvc, worked well and pretty neat finish

ir_bandito
    Free Member

best way to cut 6mm polycarbonate sheet is

That’s another aspect of the same project.

Jigsaw, with a fine blade, fairly fast with pendulumn set to “1”, whatever that means.
    Worked a treat.

Not got around to the PVC yet..

granny_ring

Will give it a go later in the week cheers. I’m in Kent sargey.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Whoa!!! stanleys are good but can slip no mattet how careful you are. The lads who fit wall cladding at our place (altro white rock) is similar thickness they use cordless shears theyre fast neat and very accurate. Electric scisors if you will can be hired cheaply or borrowed if you know any tradesmen. ive tried stanleys and yes they do work but id fancy my fingers being intact at the end of the job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How to cut thin (1.5mm) PVC sheet?’ is closed to new replies.