Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How to cut a hole for a gate in a brick garden wall
  • austin
    Free Member

I'm shortly going to be moving into a terraced house. There's no access to the garden from the back so I'd like to put a gate in the garden wall. I'm not sure how much of a job this will be and if it's something an 'enthusiastic amateur' could tackle.

The wall is straight, roughly 1.8m high and about 10m long of which about 5 metres is at the end of our garden. It is two bricks deep. At one end of the wall, there is already a gate. My concern is that, by removing a section of the wall, the integrity of the wall as a whole will suffer (ie would it be likely to be blown over). Would brick piers be necessary – in which case I definitely won't try to do it myself.

I know I'll need planning permission as I want to put a full height gate in. And while I'm typing this, I've realised I'll need to get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. But in the interests of a good old STW debate – how would you go about this? Sledgehammer and a prayer? Diamond blade angle grinder? Big chisel?

iDave
    Free Member

pair of bombers surely?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Big hammer or perhaps a huge angle grinder with cutting disc. The builders all work no point posting this in the day time for IT people to suggest stuff.

uplink
    Free Member

Just hire one of these

TheBrick
    Free Member

Disk stone cutter for the hole. Depending on the height of the wall and the distance from any buttress / corners you might be able to get away without the need to build in a buttress / pillar on the ends of the new entrance but it's unlikely.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How to cut a hole for a gate in a brick garden wall’ is closed to new replies.