• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How to cure flippy floppy steering on NP MEga
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi folks – need a bit of help on set up.

NP Mega, running 180mm Talas RC2s, 70mm stem and 730mm bars.

Steering is very flippy floppy. Once you get past maybe 10/15 degrees either side of dead ahead it flops over fast. This is noticable on the trails. I not like, esp if going quite quickly!

(compounded by the fact that other bike is a big, stable, 29er)

Axle to crown race measurement is within specifications from NP, and fork runs with decent sag.

Would a shorter stem & even wider bars help (I don’t like the rise/sweep on current bars anyway) to cure this?

Would going down to 170/160mm forks be the only cure? (riding the forks at 140mm it doesn’t happen).

I am 6’4″, so bike (large) is technically a wee bit on the wee side for me, but is such a hoot in the alps and general big mountain/bike park days I don’t want to change.

Your opinions are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,
    Kev

LoCo
    Free Member

Shorter forks and/or shorter stem will reduce the effect at low speeds

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shorter forks +1

Can you add spacers to the TALAS to drop the travel?

Either that or ride faster untill the flop diaspeares 😛

float
    Free Member

Steering is very flippy floppy. Once you get past maybe 10/15 degrees either side of dead ahead it flops over fast. This is noticable on the trails. I not like, esp if going quite quickly!

yup, thats what bikes are like with slack headangles…you didnt buy it to potter round trailcentres did you?

anyway, yes shorter forks will steepen the headangle.

legend
    Free Member

What HA angle does a Mega have? Approaching DH angles, especially with a fork like that on? Slack steering angles can feel like this until properly up to speed, definitely don’t want a relatively long (for the type if bike) stem on, 40/50mm should help

freeridenick
    Free Member

do you run the the internal bottom cup on the headset to keep the front as low as possible?

kayak23

I noticed this straight away on the Mega. Welcome to slacksville 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Hmmm, slacksville it is!

Cheers all, good comments. Been riding it for a year now, and when it gets really steep, with a big pair of Big Betty’s on, it frickin rocks. Deffo the slackest bike I have ridden.

freeridenick – cheers for that, yes, I looked at the huge variety of headset options to get the right one!

So, shorter stem and even wider bars it is! I shall report back on my success/lack of success.

Kev

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too soft at the back?

big_scot_nanny

Cheers al, my arse is tuned to perfection. And my suspension is not bad either.. Boom boom 😳

I have the right sag with either monarch or coil Rocco, so not really that.

I put a 70mm stem and quite a few spacers in the steerer tube to try and make the rather too small bike fit a bit better, but I think a short stem and wider bars to pull me forward a bit again would be worth a crack.

All good thoughts peeps!

Kev

ton

lend it to me for a week or 2, and i will give you my expert opinion

😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I am 6’4″, so bike (large) is technically a wee bit on the wee side for me

So an XL should be okay for me at 6’2″ and a smidge? 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Oliver, aye, it would be fab I reckon. But, I will say, on the fun stuff the large is a hoot!

Ton – would be my pleasure to let you thrash the nuts of it, anytime sir! I’ll trade you for a lovely ventana shirt…. (well used now, sorry about that!) 😀

Kev

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think I need a go on one. Just looking at the geometry next to the SX trail isn’t telling me the whole story..

continuity
    Free Member

I thought the mega was designed for 150mm forks like revelations. What do you have downhill forks on it for?

z1ppy

http://www.nukeproof.com/en/frames/mega-frame

Recommended Fork length – 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup 44IISS, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S

Posted that for Continuity but reading it… Big_scott_nanny are you running the recommended internal bottom cup?

Mugboo

Mine has 160 36’s and it’s not flip floppy, lose the Talas, spacer to 160?

Mine were Talas but Loco made them FIT Floats, at 160 it climbs anything that my legs can cope with 🙂

continuity
    Free Member

Shrug. You have the crappy steering, not me!

(but I stand dowN)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

AFAIK Shorter forks wont help as the Fox 180’s are run with a raised axle so the Axle to Crown is similar to the 160’s (I think).

kayak23

(compounded by the fact that other bike is a big, stable, 29er)

Is the mega used less by you? It may be as simple as feeling the difference. I know that when I’ve been riding my PA hardtail a few times, then jump on the mega, the difference in geometry is really noticeable. Pretty much goes as soon as the trail points downhill mind. ..

big_scot_nanny

continuity – Member
    Shrug. You have the crappy steering, not me!

(but I stand dowN)

No worries man, LOL! This is my DH bike, but with ability to ride it up and across if needed (I am a jammy bastard living in switzerland, so access to lots of big hills).

I think it is a bit of a different bike thing. Shorter stem and wider bars ordered. Bring it on!

Kev

_tom_
    Free Member

This is the problem with really slack head angles imo, can feel floppy unless you’re riding fast/steep enough. I’d get shorter forks or fit some angle cups the other way round..

big_scot_nanny

So, 50mm stem and Renthal fatbars (780?) now adorn the machine, and yes, it does make a difference.

Lac Blanc bike park on sunday for a blast (it was perfect conditions, did too much riding, my left thigh and right buttock are suffering from inability to swap leading legs!), and in general it felt fabulous, even more control (really, it does make a ridiculous diference), and in the tight turny bits it never felt like it was trying to flop over under my knees.

Top job STW folks! 😀

Kev

PS Now, if I could just admit that at 6’4″ it really is far too small for me! Anyone want to buy a large black NP mega, replaced rear triangle and 2 shocks? (so I can get a new XL?) 😳

hora
    Free Member

Just noticed this- the Mega isn’t rated upto 180mm travel though? The blurb says 150-170.

I_Ache
    Free Member

*Waits for the same thread from Hora in a week or two followed by an FS NP Mega thread*

😆

thepodge
    Free Member

He’s waiting for a C456 now

hora
    Free Member

Thats not the reason, but thanks though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How to cure flippy floppy steering on NP MEga’ is closed to new replies.