Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to connect a USB printer and HDD to network….wirelessly?
  • ericemel
    Free Member

Ok – I want to add a UBS printer and HDD to my network – but not plug it into my PC or Modem….

Is there any way to do this?

Cheers

z1ppy

Wifi NAS?

The NAS device will usually have a USB port, which the printer can plug into

ericemel
    Free Member

I would like to use the printer and USB HDD I currently have

Was thinking of some kind of wireless USB hub – but an struggling to fin one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Not easy, really, using the same stuff you already have. Wireless NAS is expensive, but you might find some kind of adapter.

Wireless printing is easier.

stevious

I know the Apple Airport can be used to share printers and HDDs wirelessly, but not sure if they’d work with Windows stuff. Quite pricy too (as you’d expect)

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a router that claims to be able to accept a USB hard drive. It bloody well won’t 🙁

Belkin N+ btw.

z1ppy

I would like to use the printer and USB HDD I currently have

Ahh you have a USB enclosure with a HDD within it, you didn’t say that… I’d still not use a single hdd on its own as anything other than temporary storage, don’t rely on these as a long term backup device. IMO (of course) you need some sort of RAID enabled NAS if your not backing up to an other sort of medium.

Yes in the short term the drive will be fine but don’t come back crying when it dies with your only copy of the data on it 😉

Cougar

I think I’d be tempted to get a small form factor PC and use that headerless next to the printer and HDD.

Failing that, for printing you’ll need a WiFi / USB print server. This question cropped up here a week or two back, have a search. You can get one for about £40.

What difference does it make where your HDD is plugged in, if you’re using it as a network drive?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’d be tempted to get a small form factor PC and use that headerless next to the printer and HDD

Noise and power consumption.. and cost.. a wireless NAS caddy (you can use the drive from the inside of the USB most probably) and a printer server would be cheaper.

Cougar

I was thinking of something like this but might be overkill.

thebunk

This sounds like what you want

Discontinued, though they have a second hand one available:£20

ericemel
    Free Member
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to connect a USB printer and HDD to network….wirelessly?’ is closed to new replies.