Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • how to cold proof you bike…?
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

how do you keep things running smoothly in -10 weather ,what lube do people use? things like that really
    Bruce

coastkid
    Free Member

How i do it is get home and park bike if ive been on the road and its got slush with road salt i park it up in a front wheel clamp thing i made with wood and go fill a 2 gallon watering can with no rose sprinkler end with hand warm water.
    Pour over bike removing all the crap then i carry it into the Kitchen and sit on 2 old towels to drip dry.
    I hand wipe the chain with an old dish cloth and an hour or so later relube the chain.
    I use Squirt dry lube all year round, some folk dont like it but i find its ok.
    If you wash it then sit it in a cold garage you will get problems with freehubs,cables even BBs freezing up,
    Im single so no probs here but you may have to explain to your other half why the bike is in the kitchen :mrgreen:

The secret is preventative greasing and lubing before these conditions so theres no moisture to start with in these areas.
    Check out the Alaska Forum or Fatbike forum on MTBR as these guys keep rolling through even colder temps than here 😮 Bruce too 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

coastkid sort of alludes to it, but the problem here isn’t the cold, it’s the combination of cold and wet. Snow and ice is fine. It tends not to affect the running of the mechanics of the bike. However, splash some water on your mechs, let it freeze, and you start to get problems. My bike is kept in a garage, so it’s below freezing for potentially weeks on end. Copious quantities GT85 on the moving parts and a decent lube on the chain (regularly applied) has been enough.

ssboggy

Singlespeed, no suspension, no washing of bike, bit of spray grease on the chain.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘how to cold proof you bike…?’ is closed to new replies.