Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to clean the hard plastic/rubber stuff on electronics
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Does anybody know the best way to clean the plastic grip/protection bit on electronic equipment? Specifically a Fluke multi meter, but i presume its all similar stuff.
    Below image is not mine, but it shows the black/brown almost rub marks i want to get off.. Tried to obvious soapy water etc, but maybe something stronger?

Thanks in advance!

jimdubleyou

Sticky Stuff remover.

This isn’t a joke. Google it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Baby wipes.

Baby wipes will clean anything.

Nuclear waste spillage? Baby wipes.

handyman153
    Free Member

I will give baby wipes a go!
    As for sticky stuff, would nail varnish remover do a similar job? Or is it a little bit over strong?

wwaswas

It’s human skin grease.

any decent degreaser on a rag will get it off.

stumpy01

IPA? – not the beer variety.

Baby wipes will probably work too…

johndoh
    Free Member

Another vote for baby wipes.

I used to think WD40 and wire wool solved everything, I now know the true way is baby wipes.

canopy
    Free Member

gt85? 🙂

sas78

Baby wipes, they clean sh1t off a blanket. And that takes some power! 😀

What they actually do to babies bum’s I tried not to think about with the juniors.

andyl
    Free Member

would nail varnish remover do a similar job? Or is it a little bit over strong?

that is acetone. It will damage the plastic and definitely melt the grey plastic if you get it on that.

goldfish24

^ glad Andy beat me to it; no acetone near plastic please.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just use a soapy scourer (plastic type, not steel wool etc) and hot water.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…on the rubber part, obvs.

NB brown marks can also come from sitting vinyl items against dark rubber (eg black rubbery wire insulation). This does not come off as it’s sorta diffused into the vinyl.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try gt85

Dibbs
    Free Member

I just tried on my Fluke, and lighter fluid worked better that alcohol (surgical spirit).

asbrooks

Toluene is the industry standard solvent for cleaning rubber and plastics. You might be able to find it at auto paint supplies.

RustyMac

Finnish line citrus degreaser and muck-off worked for me in the past. Yellow stuff is generally more difficult to get clean than the grey but the yellow rubber bumper comes off and can be cleaned separately.

I used a cotton bud dipped in degreaser to clean the grey bit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to clean the hard plastic/rubber stuff on electronics’ is closed to new replies.