Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • how to clean and lube gear cable?
  • minzo
    Free Member

After a pretty mucky ride my gear changes are a bit off. Cleaned the cassette, chain, mech, etc. obviously but not changing between gears right and they were spot on before this. So I’m thinking it must be the cable but I don’t know how to go about this (Shimano SLX by the way). Any advice would be appreciated.

Moonhead
    Free Member

By chance I read this yesterday…..

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-clean-and-lube-your-bike-18259

There is a bit about cables.

Hope it helps

minzo
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll try that

fisha
    Free Member

I either put a bit of grease or chain lube between my fingers and run t he cable through t hem.

I also pop the end cap off the cable outers and holding it vertical , drop oil into the outer and let it run down the inside of the outer, take a bit of time , but a drip at a time oozes in and after half dozen drips I run the cable through to push the oil the rest of the way.

minzo
    Free Member

Thanks, Ill do that tomorrow

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

one of these can help – but not a perfect solution by any means
    http://shop.motoxbreaker.co.uk/products/fro-systems-cable-oiler.html

rocketman
    Free Member

From new, use household furniture polish on the inners and re-apply regularly. Grease/lube attracts too much debris.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Putting oils/grease inside cables can end up leaving the system needing more maintenance. It’ll not only attract/collect more dust, it’ll dry up and thicken over time and require flushing out. You’ll then need to apply more lubricant, which will eventually thicken, slow the system down and require removal. Repeat ad nauseum. In a split system, dirt by itself will not cause much of a problem; giving it oils/grease to mix with will. Cable oilers are the solution to a problem that doesnt exist, or at least it didn’t until the oiler was fitted.

In a split system, dry cables will perform consistently for longer. They *may* have slightly more friction, but they’ll require little or no maintenance. A ‘lubricated’ system will be less consistent and require more maintenance.

A single run of outer cable – or even just at the stops on stays – is by far the best solution, in my experience.

alexpalacefan

TJ, what does that oiler thing do? I work on un-maintained bikes quite a bit, does it help with lubing in-situ cables in some way?

Cheers,

APF

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

alex palace fan – yes its an oiler that clamps over an insitu cable allowing you to put lube in from an aerosol. Designed for motorcycle cables so does not always fit well on cycle cables.

bigjim

I like GT85 and then let it dry/wipe dry, doesn’t get mucky and attract dirt, leaves some lubeyness.

alexpalacefan

Thanks TJ, got to be better than the “grip it in the fingers and hope for the best” method I’m using.

APF

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘how to clean and lube gear cable?’ is closed to new replies.