Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How to clean a George Foreman grill?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

We’ve just bought a George Foreman grill which unfortunately doesn’t have removable plates so we can’t soak them after cooking. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the burnt stuck on food off it? So far lots of mess, time and elbow grease seems to be the only way. Help before the wife launches it into the bin.

wwaswas

the little plastic scrapers you can get help and don’t damage the non-stick surfaces. but elbow grease required.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

With ours we try and clean it as soon as you have taken the food off/finished using it. Just using a damp piece of kitchen towel to get rid of any residual grease. Then just scrape any burnt bits off.

joe93
    Free Member

cleaning when its hot works best, with some meats you can just squeeze the water from a sponge across it and it comes straight off. or be like the rest of the students in my halls and never clean it.

Tom83

We’ve got one at work for bacons, and have found the best way to clean it is while it’s still hot. don’t do what one of us did though and use the course side of a scouring pad. Most of the non stick is now unstuck…

andrewh
    Free Member

Didn’t he do a song about cleaning things? Was it grills?

jota180
    Free Member

Folded up wet cloth between the plates
    Switch it on for a minute or two and it then cleans up quite easily

Handsomedog
    Free Member

+1 for the wet cloth. If it’s really caked on you soak a cloth in washing up liquid and water and leave it overnight (obviously not on).

Had to do this once when the OH absent mindedly put the thing away without cleaning it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

How to glean a garage foreperson??
    Eh??

project
    Free Member

Allow to cool and spray with Tesco anti bacterial spray, and watch the grease melt, then rince with warm water and dry well.

oh and if you decide to imerse it in water like somebody did it will blow up when you swith it back on.

Cougar

don’t do what one of us did though and use the course side of a scouring pad. Most of the non stick is now unstuck…

It was you, wasn’t it?

if you decide to imerse it in water like somebody did it will blow up when you swith it back on.

It was you, wasn’t it?

Tom83

Haha no it wasn’t me! Honest 😉

DrP

Lame, I know, but this is the reason we got rid of ours!
    Was such a faff, and ended up smelling of the last 34 dishes cooked on it!

DrP

Slogo
    Free Member

I hang mine over the sink so the remans and dirty water run straight into the drain. I use two sheets of kitchen towel to give it a scrub. then a dry one to remove any remains!

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

heat it gently then baby wipes. baby wipes clean anything.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Shotblast the dirty greasy bastard thing I wish I’d never bought.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You have a wife. Why are you asking us. She is right. She will clean it correctly.

Sit down and enjoy your beer.

Bez

Turn it on, let it get warm, wipe with a paper towel. Just about the easiest thing in the kitchen to clean.

hugor
    Free Member

I got rid of the cheap one with the fixed hotplates and bought the one with the removable plates for this reason.
    I put the removable plates in the dishwasher. Lazy but very effective.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ours is super easy to clean too. Whilst still warm, scrape off the solids if you feel like it, otherwise just wipe with a paper towel. Takes 5 seconds.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Turn it on and let it warm up a little, put an empty tray under it and wash with kitchen spray and a cloth, then unplug and wash it next to the skink so the crap drains into the sink (best do it last).

atlaz
    Free Member

I find a scourer that doesn’t damage non-stick is fine. I run it under the tap. Just have to make sure when you do that that a) it’s not plugged in (yeah I know, this one is to cover myself) and b) you let it dry naturally (i.e. leave it out a while) and be sure it’s dry before plugging in.

That said I use it 3-4 times a year probably so I may not be the best person to ask.

GrahamS

I got rid of the cheap one with the fixed hotplates and bought the one with the removable plates for this reason.

This. (Though most of the time it’s easy enough to clean if you give it a wipe while it is still hot).

We lived off our Formby for about a year while our kitchen was getting redone. Great thing – was sorry when it finally packed in.

MrOvershoot

GrahamS – Member

We lived off our Formby for about a year while our kitchen was getting redone. Great thing – was sorry when it finally packed in.

Christ how big is your kitchen!!??

Or did you live in Formby for a year 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Turn it on and let it warm up a little, Unplug it and wash with a cloth, next to the sink so the crap drains into the sink (best do it last).

That said I use it 3-4 times a year probably so I may not be the best person to ask.

+1 – I find it’s easiest not to get food on it in the first place.

GrahamS

Christ how big is your kitchen!!??

Small. But when we moved in the previous occupier had removed the cooker & hob – we were skint after the move and didn’t fancy paying for a temporary cooker before we’d cobbled together enough cash to get the kitchen sorted out.

Coyote
    Free Member

Unplug it and let it cool down. Now turf it in the bin and get a griddle pan. Job done.

molgrips
    Free Member

You people are weird.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How to clean a George Foreman grill?’ is closed to new replies.