Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to chose a good bivvy spot
  • oblique
    Free Member

Hopefully trying my first bivvy this weekend and was trying to chose a location. What makes a good and a bad spot? I am guessing grassy, flat-ish, not neer a bog.

Is it good to have a stream for water? How far off the beaten track should you aim for? I know “the book of the bivvy” would be helpful in all this but still trying to find an ebook copy of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get an OS map, find the small streams high up in the hills and look for a loop in the contours where they open out. This will mean a flat spot with water, away from farmers 🙂

The exception is forests – they contain lots of flatter spots which are good for biviying if not camping, and they provide lots of cover to hide from landowners. And you often end up face to face with wildlife 🙂

EG see the dead centre of the map at this link:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.41097339016394&lon=-3.768010139465332&gz=17&oz=8&gt=1

Might not be any flat ground there but it looks promising, and you don’t need much for a bivi. For this reason of course it’s good to have options in case your planned spot turns out not to be suitable for some reason or other. And an ortlieb bag in your pack so you can go get water on your bike if you can’t find a nice spot near a stream 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Don’t take advice from me#

GlitterGary
    Free Member

😆

oblique
    Free Member

That picture has slightly worried me… Mostly scared of those bobble hats.

user-removed
    Free Member

😆 That’s pretty unlucky!

willard

Nana… That’s a good example of where not to camp.

Textbook in fact.

CaptJon
    Free Member

and look for a loop in the contours

FYI – contours on OS maps are accurate to +/- 5m, so not always useful.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

worth checking out geograph too for pics of the area.

OS map showed a wall, geograph confirmed it. so I slept here:

P6030054 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

FYI – contours on OS maps are accurate to +/- 5m, so not always useful.

Not always perfectly accurate, but useful for seeing where the terrain flattens out a bit. Better than the alternative which is nothing at all, since it’s all you’ve got 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nana… That’s a good example of where not to camp.

Textbook in fact.
    If you knew the story behind it you’d be more forgiving. That was the comedy end of a night of mayhem, which began with someone forgetting their mountain tent and us stopping at Argos to ‘make do’, the tent went in a skip on the way home. That pitch wasn’t where we started the previous evening, it was were we escaped to during the night. It’s a good example of what tent to not take to the Lakes if you’re high mountain camping in a storm. We had no choice but to pitch the tent at the lowest point behind the wall otherwise it wouldn’t stand up, as all the poles had snapped during the night and were only held together with tape 😀

fannybaws
    Free Member

if in scotland, stay as high as you can would be my advise to avoid the midge.

oblique
    Free Member

It will be in yorkshire so hopefully not to bad midge wise. Harder to find secluded areas with water though. Can you legaly have anything done to you if you are cought sleeping on someones land? I guess asked to leave but is that it?

Anyone know any good spots kinda whitby area of the moors?

binners

Can you legaly have anything done to you if you are cought sleeping on someones land?

In Yorkshire? On the Moors. Hmmmmmmmmmm

crankboy
    Free Member

“Can you legaly have anything done to you if you are cought sleeping on someones land”

Section 4 of the Vagrancy Act 1824 says the police can try , but they never would.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about the CJA?

footflaps

Best check its not a local dogging spot, beforehand!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to chose a good bivvy spot’ is closed to new replies.