• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How to carry work clothes to work?
  • DrJ

I have a new job that requires I wear a suit and tie. Usually I just ride slowly to work in my ordinary clothes, which is fine for jeans etc., but now I think I need to carry them with me and change at work. Any ideas or tips for how to fold, carry etc nice clothes so I don't look like a Dixon's salesman when I put them on for work?

Jase
    Free Member

Roll them in a towel?

I used to drive in 1 day of week and take 4 days worth of clothes.

crazy-legs

Leave the suit there, take in a clean shirt every day?
    Even if there's no lockers there must be somewhere you can hang a suit up, maybe wrapped in a plastic cover from the drycleaners.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Alpkit do some great waterproof bags.

brakes
    Free Member

I leave my jacket at work but take trousers and shirt in every day, folded up inside a thin laptop bag which is then put in a rucksack
    you can also get a foldable pouch (seen them in some walking shops but can't remember the name) in which to put your shirts

tyger
    Free Member

Why don't you wear a Burqa!

crazy-legs

I don't have to wear a suit (thankfully!), in fact it doesn't matter in the slightest how scruffy I am but I take in a T-shirt and underwear each day wrapped up in a carrier bag inside my rucksack.
    Shower at work then change – I have specific work trousers which are left there and washed once a week by the company so that's one less thing to worry about.
    I also have a bag left at work with spare T-shirt and underwear cos it's not unknown for me to forget them in a morning!

jonb
    Free Member

At the very least leave your jacket.

I take in pants and a shirt everyday loosely folded in a record/courier bag. Never creased when I get in.

Eagle creek do some packing things that may be of interest.

Harry_the_Spider

I bung mine in a rucksack and spend the day looking like I sleep in bus shelters.

djglover
    Free Member

I leave 2 sets of trousers at work, they have a dry cleaning service so I can alternate without having to take them home

woffle
    Free Member

I take in 4 shirts at the beginning of the week (Friday is dress-down) loosely rolled in a towel and put in a Carradice saddle bag. Then take them into the showers and hang them to get damp in the steam – most of the creases drop out straight away.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Leave suit at work and iron the shirt when you get to work?

DrJ

Thanks – some ideas to consider. I don't feel that comfortable leaving my stuff at work – always some cock ready to play a silly joke!!

StirlingCrispin

Get yourself an Eagle Creek Pack It Folder.
    http://www.safariquip.co.uk/acatalog/Eagle_Creek.html#aEAGFO

I use mine for conferences and it works well.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I just use a rucksac – the Mountain Warehouse "Walkabout 30" one is ok, shoes in the bottom section, the rest in the main section. Although fitting a suit jacket in might be difficult as well.

An old butler's tip i heard was to put a sheet of tissue paper on a garment before folding it with the paper in the middle, apparently helped reduce creases… Haven't tried it myself mind!

duntmatter
    Free Member

I iron the week's shirts and put them in my rucksack in a box file on a Monday. Crease free! In winter I take crumpled shirts and put a jumper on.

samuri
    Free Member

I take my shirts in wholesale in the car, the trousers get left at work and get washed once they've been worn a few times. I've got a locker I managed to aquire though so no messing with my stuff. Any 'joker' who did what get a kick up the chuff.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Iron, carefully fold, insert into plastic bag, insert into courier bag/pannier.

Seems to have worked fine for 5 years.

scruff
    Free Member

I bung mine in a rucksack and spend the day looking like I sleep in bus shelters.

+1

takisawa2

If you worked at the same place as me I could get the wife to drop them off with mine on a Monday morning.
    I accept, this is a remote possibility but you never know.

nbt

I too take stuff in by car regularly. I've an entire wardrobe at work, it gets taken home / washed / returned to work as necesssary. Never carry clothes when commuting by bike

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How to carry work clothes to work?’ is closed to new replies.