Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How to buy a new frame from the USA
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

I really want a new sworks enduro but they are not being sold here in the uk

Apart from going on holiday and bringing it back which is out of my reach

Any thoughts Or know any shops in the states that will ship specialized to the uk

jota180
    Free Member

Something like this?

http://www.bundlebox.com/

orangeboy
    Free Member

Looks interesting. I had forgoten all about the vat Opps

chugg08

Best to confirm the process should you need to claim under warranty.

I bought a Cannondale in Canada that developed a fault. Whilst they were happy to resolve under warranty, because it was bought in N America, I had pay for shipping both ways (my frame there, the new one back). Cost the best part of £600 on an economy service.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Add in the cost of shipping including a fair amount of insurance. Don’t think shop will just send a box with “value $5” to get around any import issues either.

chugg08

Yep, it was £285 each way for shipping alone. Because mine was a warranty replacement there was no insurance value on the way out (damaged goods) and no duty on the way back – I’d guess import duty will be hefty amount.

warpcow
    Free Member

They’re available in mainland Europe too. You can get them here in Sweden, but with Scandinavian prices to match. Might be worth searching for German/Italian/French stores.

orangeboy
    Free Member

My main reason for looking to the USA was the exchange rate is in my favour

I’ve got a few months at least till there will be any available regardless of country

d45yth
    Free Member

orangeboy – Member
    My main reason for looking to the USA was the exchange rate is in my favour

By the time you pay the postage, insurance and tax it won’t cheap anymore (It could cost more than £500!). I don’t think many places would ship them to the UK either due to distributor rights.
    Germany would be the best place to look. It would cost £30-50 to post, no import tax either. If they won’t post, cheap flight and put it in your suitcase. It depends on how bad you want one I suppose.

warpcow
    Free Member

Exchange rate is only part of it. Total cost after you add duty, VAT and transatlantic shipping from the US (assuming you’re going to pay all that) favours a European store. A little rough back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests you’d save about £400-500 buying from Germany compared to the US.

vikingboy
    Free Member

its a bit of a nightmare actually, especially with Specialized as no dealers will ship out of country for fear of specialized’s policies. Shipping is bloody expensive too so even if you can get one you have to get it back to the UK. I travel to the US fairly often so pick up in person and bring back in person, throw in a bit of US based riding as well and its a used bike. Or you can save yourself a lot of hassle and go buy one in Germany, there and back in a day and its a cheap trip too.

d45yth
    Free Member

I take it’s a complete bike you’re after too? The tax on a complete bike is more than what it is for a frame/bike parts.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Thanks all. I knew this was the place to ask

Oh and I want one very badly

Tracey

I wanted one but nobody will post from us or Europe due to Specialized policy. Bought a full bike in the Bikescene sale for a great price. Im on my second week in the Alps with it and it was worth every penny

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How to buy a new frame from the USA’ is closed to new replies.