Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • how to build a cabin bed?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Thinking of attempting a cabin bed for my eldest son. Anybody down similar before and can offer some advice?

kayak23

There’s someone on here who built an amazing one out of ply, but I forget just who.
    Have a scan through the ‘What’s the last thing you made’ thread.

Vern0n
    Free Member

I made one for my 4y.o. Had some spare (sturdy!) ikea storage units, framed in cls timber and secured to wall / floor.
    Made a mattress frame in more cls timber and slatted base above the cabinets. It’s fairly low (60cm) but has a higher unit on one end that works as a shelf and wired in some lights etc.

If I could link a photo I would…

Conclusion: not much cheaper than a ready made cabin bed but we had an awkward shaped room so needed the custom fit…

project
    Free Member

get a mattress first and make it fit the mattress, is a thing i learnt at the end of the event.and allow space for bed clothes to tuck in.

kcr
    Free Member

Worth checking Gumtree as well. I’ve picked up a couple of nice cabin/platform beds in really good nick this year at about 1/3 of the original prices. Unless you need a custom fit (or just fancy a project) self build is probably going to cost more in time and materials than good second hand stuff.

Have a look at IKEA Hackers for examples of the storage unit design described by Vern0n.

takisawa2

Step 1: Drive to Ikea.
    Step 2: Purchase Cabin Bed
    Step 3: Think about time saved faffing about.

😉

My lads both have them, pain in the arse making the beds though.
    They even do a desk for underneath.

jimdubleyou

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-Ht19_qis[/video]

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Step 1: Drive to Ikea.
    Step 2: Purchase Cabin Bed
    Step 3: Think about time saved faffing about.

I think I could build a nuclear reactor faster than getting in and out of Ikea.

bearnecessities

Kayak, would that be DrP’s?

What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)

kayak23

Yeah! and Alexsimon’s awesome colorful one.

jamj1974

Still in awe of both of those beautiful pieces of work.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Those are amazing. The only reason I’m thinking of building one is to try and get everything we want as most ready mades come with some of the things we need but not all!

jamj1974

After just a review of page 12, I’m going to have a good look at that thread again. Some truly brilliantt stuff that I can admire.

AlexSimon

Thanks for the mentions!
    More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thingswelike/albums/72157649757649518

Basically, I relied on batons screwed to the wall and the use of proper bed slats. Then everything else is easy.
    These days I would have routed the ladder steps, but the screws are holding fine despite my son growing taller than me now!

We went custom because we had an awkward space to fill, but it wasn’t a long project. Most of the work was drawing it and then trying to replicate that in Illustrator, so I could print out large paper templates.

kayak23

Really is fabulous that. Lucky kids!
    😀

AlexSimon

Thanks kayak23 – you know I’m an admirer of your work 🙂

Top tip if you want painted wood – B&Q sell small 250mm tins really cheap £2.50 or something mixed to any colour you like (meant as testers I think). It used to be Dulux but it’s now their own Valspar or something.

Prime, then roll that on using a microfibre/flock mini roller.

Then cover in Matt Osmo for a really durable finish. That bed is 6 years old now and still looks like new. Most people assume it’s got a laminate on it.

blader1611
    Free Member

Alexsimon that is very good, what thickness ply was that?

AlexSimon

15mm for the dark green and brown. 6mm for the light green.

My eldest’s previous bed guard was 18mm in a single layer, but that seemed overkill as long as it’s supported high up as well as at the mattress level.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Done it twice, both in nooks which fitted one well, and doing it myself was the only way to get the perfect result.Once in light oak on top of an old chest of drawers with mdf and standard timber and a lot of bright paint, and once using a tall Ikea storage unit, cutting it half, and using an IKEA bed support framework on top. It’s not hard., but does take time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘how to build a cabin bed?’ is closed to new replies.