Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How to Bodge Alternative to Buying a Proper Truing Stand?
  • twisty

I thought it’d be a rather nice idea to use a turbo to hold wheels on the table rather than crouching over the bike (I don’t have a workstand either). I know I’m not the first person to have this idea.

Clamping the wheel was fortunately easy as I had some spacers to hand from an exploded hub.

Now I am wondering what is the best bodge for radial and lateral gauges[b]?[/b]

jimwah
    Free Member

I’m imagining some complex arrangement of wooden lolly sticks and rubber bands, but exactly how it comes together I’m not sure.

nixie

I used some lego.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Now I am wondering what is the best bodge for radial and lateral gauges?

Set Square with a lolly stick taped to it.

twisty

Set Square with a lolly stick taped to it.

Yay, good thought. I have a combination square which i can use. I think i will replace the lollipop stick and tape with a metal rule and hard drive magnet

toby

Small (2.5mm ish) allen key stuck in some blue tack is what I’ve used in the past. I actually found it to be pretty good.

jamcorse

I’ve used this method with good success. I used the steel roller from the turbo trainer, calipers and lots of marker pen on the roller

kayak23

This is one I made for myself a while back.

The main stand is a plywood base, mdf uprights with metal ‘dropouts’ cut from some scrap, and my radial and lateral truing blocks are just wooden/mdf blocks with bits of plastic stuck on. It works quite well really.

sv

^ that design looks familiar 🙂

kayak23

Can’t remember what I looked at before I made it. Was it yours?
    Made it a couple of years ago now I think.

nixie

Its the design from the Rodger Musson book. I’ve built the main bit but not the gauges (used lego for speed)

kayak23

Ah yeah, that’ll be it. I bought his book.
    🙂

twisty

I have Roger Mussons book too.
    I got half way through building the stand i made the legs a bit longer and the top metal plates were going to have two mounting positions for large & small rims.
    Then i got distracted by something else and someone i hired to do some building work sabotaged the bits of MDF that i had cut.
    Now i have emigrated i have naff all materials or tools to build another one.
    I had a nice wheel dish tool that i had made as well that got thrown away.

dovebiker

Pair of forks mounted in bike stand makes good front wheel jig and used a frame countless times for the rear – adjustable square against the fork leg or seatstay is ideal gauge and can get it true down to fractions of a mm. Flip the wheel around to check dish. I now have a proper jig, but had to use my frame to build my fatbike wheels as jig wasn’t big enough. I’ve used professional jigs working in shops, but it doesn’t make much difference to the quality of the build, just makes the job a bit easier.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How to Bodge Alternative to Buying a Proper Truing Stand?’ is closed to new replies.