Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How to block mobile communications?
  • plant
    Free Member

Hi,

Up until last week, my mobile and Blackberry (both Orange) worked fine in the home office. Lat week, I thought the phone was playing up as I could hear the person at the other end but they couldn't hear me.

Decided it wasn't the phone as I couldn't use the Blackberry either. Phone has been fine when used in other locations, all weekend.

Call me paranoid but …… the neighbour is certainly a case where care in the community has failed. He is a very techy person but lacks all sense of social skills and is really not someone to be trusted – so now for the paranoid bit …. Can he install some kit that effects mobile comms? If so, what could he install and how can I measure it?

Any other thoughts on my predicament?

Thanks,

uplink
    Free Member

Something like this?

[/url]

soobalias
    Free Member

most likely you are being watched.

get out, get out now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

Seek psychiatric help? 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you can get them but they are illegal if they have effect outside your own property as far as i know, they may even be completely illegal.

as for detection, i'd just report it to your mobile provider or to OFCOM

i'd pop a tinfoil hat on as well just in case

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

He is a very techy person but lacks all sense of social skills

Normal IT bloke then?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

good point sam

he probably posts on here

samuri
    Free Member

oh, and we looked at jammers a while ago as we'd been asked to investigate how difficult it would be for someone to launch a denial of service attack against our wireless/mobile networks. It's really, really easy, there are freely available schematics on the internet, you can make one for buttons.

llama

Is it not working at all or can you hear them but they can't hear you? Cos if the latter then I would be very surprised if its the result of a third party. Report it to Orange because its something broken on their side.

And they really are out to get you

plant
    Free Member

Hey, I thought I had a patent on the foil hats!

It isn't a complete jamming – I can hear the other party really clearly.

As I walk down the stairs to the ground floor (office in the attic), the emails chirp through on the Blackberry and (I suspect but have yet to try it), the mobile will be fine too.

Loved reading some of the comments – even if they didn't help. 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

How to block mobile communications?
    take a large hammer to anyone using a mobile.

samuri
    Free Member

So voice gets through to you but data doesn't? What's the blackberry like at browsing the internet?

plant
    Free Member

The Blackberry doesn't – the IT 'Fun Police' have shut it down tighter than a Nun.

Del

you'll next be suggesting that the technology is there to help you do your job, rather than keep nerds employed. tut. shame on you!

if you can hear but can't transmit it's unlikely there's any active jamming going on.

geoffj

Try a phone on a different network?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you can hear someone the other end, it is establishing a connection. Sounds like a base station issue. Get a mate round who uses a phone on another network to check. Then report the fault

samuri
    Free Member

the IT 'Fun Police'
    /high fives plant's security team.

Yeah, jamming works at a radio level so you'd expect everything to stop working, must admit i'm not sure though.

This is entirely guesswork but I would guess that the blackberry in particular operates over IP so it is likely that the voice is UDP and the data is TCP since the blackberry server would need a response to know that any emails have been succesfully delivered. It could be that if you are being jammed either intentionally or not, your devices can just about 'hear' the inbound packets but the jamming is strong enough to stop any outbound.

I think it's more likely that 'someone' has accidentally jammed you, I dunno, with a dodgy access point or central heating transmitter or something.

joemarshall
    Free Member

The only time I've ever had this happen, is when the microphone on my phone stopped working. Maybe the emails is just a coincidence.

Also, what signal strength does the phone show? It might just be that you have super-low signal strength and something is going to pot because of that.

Unless my memory is wrong, I think GSM needs to be able to talk in both directions before you can actually hear anything though.

It would probably be technically feasible to operate a custom base station, but it is way more likely that your neighbour is a bit odd but harmless and you are being paranoid.

Joe

zaskar
    Free Member

He's on to us…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How to block mobile communications?’ is closed to new replies.