Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to adjust reach on 105 (5800) brake levers?
  • baldman
    Free Member

Hi

Does anyone know how to adjust the reach on new 105 (5800) brake levers. Supposed to be a screw type adjustment under the hoods I think. Is this the small hex type bolt I can see when I pull the hoods back?

I can phone my lbs tomorrow when they open but being impatient wanted to fettle tonight 🙂

Thanks in advance, if no-one knows I’ll update with the shops answer tomorrow if anyone else needs to know in future.

stumpy01

Dunno if it’s different on Sora but my bike came with some rubber shims to adjust the reach to the brakes.

baldman
    Free Member

Hi stumpy – I think they are different now and have some kind of screw adjuster or at least that’s what the info says in reviews but I can’t find a manual and forgot to ask when I picked up the bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

It’s the same with 5800 levers or at least if the screws are an option the rubber inserts are too. I have seem spare having just recently got a set of levers and don’t need them. You can have them if you want…

Mister-P
    Free Member

There are no inserts needed on 5800 levers. Google ST-5800 SI and the first link is the user manual for those levers. Page 14 shows reach adjust.

stumpy01

Well, two links here seem to reckon it’s a screw under the hoods. Not sure if that means you can use the shims instead, but if it’s just a case of twiddling a screw then you might as well do that!

Shimano unveil new 105 groupset and mechanical STI lever for hydraulic road disc brake

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-105-5800-2014-15-groupset-first-look-40450/

baldman
    Free Member

Hi flat boy, thank you for the kind offer but it looks like Mister P has found the answer.

Thank you Mister P, your google powers are much better than mine 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

^^ he also works for shimano or the importer or something 😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Pull the hoods back from the lever end and there is a small recessed allen key head.

Clockwise to reduce the lever reach, anti clockwise to increase (up to the limit of the hood obviously).

Previous versions (5700, 6700 etc) use spacers between lever and body, but those spacers have a little loop that locates on a flat ‘hook’ – I’d guess that feature is gone since why would you need it, given allen bolts to adjust instead.

theflatboy
    Free Member

In fact thinking about it more I got my model numbers mixed up – I got the 10 speed ones not 5800s…

antigee

well as someone with small hands that is good news – mrs antigee’s road bike has the plastic shims – tempted by sram rival for a new build any adjustment in them?

also I’ve found that if you add “technical” to google searches on shimano part numbers it seems to help get the actual doc

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you have 10 speed then you will need the shims to adjust the reach. Details can be found here –

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-ST-5700-2998A.pdf

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to adjust reach on 105 (5800) brake levers?’ is closed to new replies.