Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How the Hell Do You Replace a Bonnet Release Cable – VW Polo
  • lank45
    Free Member

This is not going well! Started a long time ago and still not sorted.

Does anyone know how to replace the cable? I’ve got it through the bulkhead but it disappears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

simmy
    Free Member

Through the bulkhead from inside the car or under the bonnet ?

Is the old one still in place in parts so you can tie some string to it and pull the new one through or has it snapped ?

coopersport1
    Free Member

How old a Polo? I’ve done it but taped the new one to the remains of the old one through the bulk head, bit of fairy liquid to get it through the grommet and some gentle pushing and pulling done. That was 2001 Y plate one.

Much harder was re-welding the pedal box without removing it! 6’1″ upside down in the foot well with welding torch!

lank45
    Free Member

Right, job done! Only took 6hrs 🙁 Few things I’ve learnt though, first is that there isn’t much information out there especially as this was the third result on google when I searched for bonnet release cable replacement. Schadenfreude to you all.

Learnings to date:
    1. If your bonnet is stuck do not pull so hard on the release lever that you snap it off and slice your hand open. Simply get some one to either push down on the bonnet or pull up while you gently pull the lever.

2. If you lever is broken, do not take pliers to it and pull so hard that you snap the ball end off. The cable is probably fine! Simply repeat learning 1. while pulling gently on the cable.

3. Do not get over excited and remove the old cable, it is your friend. By removing it you will create a maze which your new cable will never be able to pass! Simply tape the new cable to the old cable with electrical insulation tape, end to end as the space can be tight, and pull one while pushing the other cable through the car.

4. Do not allow your better half to join proceedings towards the end of the job, ultimately you will take responsibility for the errors and they will take all glory for doing the job. Also, they will bugger off when you need to clean up and replace all the other bits.

Jobs left to do:
    Seal up where irreplaceable grommet has been dislodged with silicone sealer.
    Find bonnet hatch bolt which was dropped into engine bay.
    Replace blown headlight which was the initial reason for getting into the bonnet.
    Drink beer.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Do not get over excited and remove the old cable,

Did you really do that? WTF were you thinking? 🙂

Do not allow your better half to join proceedings towards the end of the job,

I’m not sure which is worse? 🙂

lank45
    Free Member

All the things listed above happened today. My soul is destroyed, I hate cars! Thing is it’s not my car, but I was trying to sort things out to get it ready for its MOT. Things sorted for MOT = ZERO

benji
    Free Member

You’ve sorted one thing for the MOT opening the bonnet. No bonnet open, no ticket.

lank45
    Free Member

Well I never knew that! Another beer to celebrate, cheers Benji

drlex
    Free Member

I got to learning 1 on my MkV Golf – snapped release handle but no injury. Luckily Google offered me the “gentle tug on cable with pliers whilst a helper pushes down on bonnet” suggestion before I enjoyed steps 2-4. Still a bit iffy even with a new handle, but CBA to replace the latch unit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How the Hell Do You Replace a Bonnet Release Cable – VW Polo’ is closed to new replies.