Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How the hell do i learn to manual properly?
  • lyons
    Free Member

As above. I cant do it! Dont get me wrong, whilst out riding i can manual roots, compressions et, but if you ask me to do it just going along the road, i can get 3 or 4 metres if im lucky ( jogging pace)

So has anyone got any tips on how to get better? Im trying to learn on a fuel ex, but with a 80mm stem. Is it worth putting on a 50mm stem whilst trying to learn? I tried it on my mates hardtail, and found it much easier… Sadly cant afford a chameleon with pikes.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Andy

ton

how old are you mate….

redthunder
    Free Member

Mastering MTB Skills …book Lopes will help.

lyons
    Free Member

Im 22, and have been riding for years… I dont really see how that affects anything though?

Is that lopes worth buying then? I found fundementals by dirt preety good.

mafu26
    Free Member

put a low nobble, streety style tyre on the back and pump it up hard, it won’t feel as slugish

might sound strange but wear a rucksack with a bit of weight in it. it’ll help you get your weight over the back end better and find the balancing point.

practice practice practice!

ton

lyons, i was gonna say that if you were in your 40’s it is because you are too old…….. 😀

woodey
    Free Member

if you can manual roots etc why do you need to get better?

(I think this is linked to Ton’s question about your age)

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

ton – I learnt to manual (sort of…I can clear small obstacles and ruts, I’m not Danny Macaskill) at 39, lucky I didnt wait another year before trying eh?

My tip, pull up with straight arms using your body weight, not by trying to jerk your bike up with you arms bent.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Agent speaks the truth … don’t snatch the front end up or try to lift it with your arms. Imagine your trying to move your upper body backwards at the same time as moving your lower forwards. As you move, push down into the pedals (dropping your heels will help here) this will push the bike out from underneath you.

If it feels like hard work your doing it wrong … possibly still trying to “lift” the front using your arms and shoulders.

Stuart

lyons
    Free Member

Cool,

thanks for the advice – ton, I didnt mean to sound arsey! I was just wondering what you meant…

As for lifting up the wheel with my arms, i’m preety sure i dont do that… I dont have any trouble lifting the front up at all. My trouble is, once i have found the balancing point, keeping it there for more than a second or two. I’ll try the rucksack thing though tomorow…

And yeah, i am getting better, i spent about half an hour today riding round my street trying to manual between 2 old pepsi cans i found in the gutter… I’ll be back tomorow but may get some slightly nicer ‘targets to use…

So yeah, any advice on how i can keep my balance when i’m up?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Feather your back brake, this will stop you falling off the back. If the front feels like its going to drop then lean back further. Pump with your legs too.

If you learn properly then you shouldnt need to use the rear brake, it should be controlled by shifting your weight around. I need to use the rear brake when I do them though.

Also, stick your steer using your knees

chakaping
    Free Member

Lopes book is the one bike book I wouldn’t be without. Still can’t manual, but that’s my fault not Brian’s.

Wish I’d read it at 22, I’d be a riding god by now.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Maintain balance by pushing down through your pedals, if the front starts to drop push more (extend your legs) if it starts to loop out bend your legs (or feather the rear brake).

Stuart

Sam

inner ear transplant, I think that’s what I’d need…

adeward
    Free Member

whats the problem in being “in your 40’s?” i’m sure thats ageist and thats not allowed in our PC world

and yes I am 46

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How the hell do i learn to manual properly?’ is closed to new replies.