Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How the 'ell do I get the old bearings out my hub?
  • onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Firstly it's a 20mm front hub, a Rocky Mountain Carbon to be precise.

I've tried tapping, pulling, and even turning the spacers on the outer side of hub, you know the 110mm spacers.

Also, I see there's a gap inside the middle of the hub in the centre of a rectangular shape.
    I tried to tug on it with a bit of thick metal cable but to no obvious affect. 😮

Don't really want to buy a new hub and spokes to rebuild with as I need this wheel sorted before this Wednesday before a bike trip.

What's STW's way of dealing with an o.e.m. hub that won't budge. ❓

TooTall
    Free Member

Firstly it's a 20mm front hub, a Rocky Mountain Carbon to be precise.

Precise about what? Is the hub a Rocky Mountain Carbon cos there isn't a bike just called a Carbon in their range.

Do you have the replacement bearings to go in?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

It's an actual Rocky mountain carbon hub.

No, mainly because I do not know what size it requires for a new set until I get the old set out.

Hope this clarifies.

peachos
    Free Member

have you taken the caps/spacers off? you should be able to see the bearing & therefore number then. i wouldn't personally be popping bearings out unless i had new ones to replace them with immediately as a wheel with shot bearings will still be of use.

to pop the caps/spacers usually use the end of the 20mm axle and insert a few mm into the end and lever out. same on other side. to get bearing out use a long flat head & a hammer. there might be a spacer between the two bearings that will allow you to shift a little to seat the head of the screwdriver on the bearing. you will probably need a bit of force, but beware that this method can sometimes split the bearing races and you could be left with the inner race out of the hub and the outer left in. then you are fekked! but it's never happened to me yet. seat new bearings with an appropriate sized socket (one that will force the outer race in & not damage the seals.

easy job once you've done it the first time.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Thanks for that peachos, – I'm not doubting it's an easy job with the sort of hub that allows for swapping of bearings.

Just that the cap spacers won't budge even after trying to tap out.

As for the axle idea, I have not tried that but really cannot see it happening.

Really want to know what the rectangular shape gap inside the centre of hub is there for ❓

peachos
    Free Member

without looking at it hard to say mate. have you tried RM – they may have tech manuals on the website…

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I've looked on the website, cannot see diddly squat.

RM don't even supply Silverfish with the bearings or spares for their own components.

🙄

Typical!

#EDIT#

I have been trawling google searches for RM 20mm hub spares etc etc but to no avail.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have a Hope hub exactly as Peachos describes. It is fecked. Damn bearings!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Trouble is, I have had 1 ride on it so far.

Mind you it had 2 seasons on/off use on it before I got it but will be sorted out no doubt.

Thanks folks for the advice and info.

Honestly thought it would of been doable to swap to new bearings. Oh well, looks like a fairly nice hub aswell for stock kit.

🙂

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Done now.

Had to have a punch used on it to push the end caps out and off to get to the bearings.

thanks Peachos for your initial help.

🙂

z1ppy

paulrockliffe – Member
    I have a Hope hub exactly as Peachos describes. It is fecked. Damn bearings!

A bearing puller should easily sort this out (local garage or engineer shop will have one or just buy one), or a dremel if your careful, at worst talk to Hope.
    But blaming the bearing is wrong, IME it's your fault for letting them get into that state, if you'd changed them when they started to get play in them, they shouldn't have fallen apart when you tried to knock them out. 😛

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Anyone know of any places that stock 6044's and can deliver sharpish!?

Zippy? 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

if you'd changed them when they started to get play in them, they shouldn't have fallen apart when you tried to knock them out.

LOL – you really don't know paulrockliffe. he was taking the piff out of me last night for cleaning and repacking a some headset bearings 🙄

peachos
    Free Member

onceinalifetime – Member
    Anyone know of any places that stock 6044's and can deliver sharpish!?

BETD are a good bet!

Skyliner
    Free Member

Call SMB in Oxfordshire on 01993-842555 – They do every bearing and deliver same day, oh and they take paypal too so there's no need to register/swap credit card details etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bearing 6044
    Dimensions 220 x 340 x 56

Are you sure it was a 6044?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Thanks peachos and skyliner, – Will do, am on the case.

Onza, it does state on the outer seal 6044 and have been informed the lbs's round my way don't hold stock of them as it's not a common size to use.

Interesting?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd be surprised if it was anything other than a 61804 (also called 6804)

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I'll go check, back in a mo!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Would you adam and eve it, it's a ''6804''

The 8 ''looked'' was pretending to be a 6 for a while 😛

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

SORTED!

Thanks folks 😀 thumbs up.

alexxx
    Free Member

for future ref, simply bearings are a good company to deal with

Onzadog
    Free Member

I normally use the Hope ones from Wiggle. Less than a fiver a piece I think and the last ones were SKF. Not seen them cheaper anywhere else.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How the 'ell do I get the old bearings out my hub?’ is closed to new replies.