Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How the does this happen?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12020022

I must just have missed this by minutes. Road werent icy when I was there.

Car kills a couple of folk in glasgow city centre.

druidh
    Free Member

Accidents happen when it’s not icy too.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I dont get how you can have an accident like that though.

druidh
    Free Member

Two girls running across road not looking where they are going – big car swerves to avoid them?

Who knows – there’s nothing we can surmise from the report.

(though the RR has travelled a fair way up that embankment!)

iDave
    Free Member

driver distracted?
    pedestrians distracted by iPods/phones

hels
    Free Member

It doesn’t say the roads were icy does it ? The Range Rover driver could have been on the phone and didn’t see the crossing lights ?? Or drunk ?? Very sad.

wwaswas

speed
    inattention
    driver has heart attack
    women run across road against light

there’s a host of reasons for every incident like this.

richmtb

Tragic, but like other have said there are plenty of reasons an accident like this may have happened.

Report doesn’t say if anyone is to blame but pedestrians tend not to do to well versus Rangerovers

Purely speculation of course, but the car doesn’t appear to have reached the pedestrian crossing before it left the road.

woody2000

God, even the street name is horrible – Killermont Street.

Very sad 🙁

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Two young women were killed today in a horror crash in Glasgow city centre next to Buchanan bus station.

The women, aged 18 and 20, died after they were struck by a Range Rover.

Witnesses said the car mowed into a number of pedestrians at a crossing as the car travelled along North Hanover Street.

The horrific accident happened around 11am, close to the junction with Killermont Street.

Emergency vehicles rushed to the scene and police sealed off the road close to the John Lewis store.

Belongings were strewn across the road.

Paramedics were seen treating one victim on the roadside. The driver was lifted into an ambulance in a wheelchair. As well as the male driver, another man and two women pedestrians were taken to hospital.

The women later died in hospital.

One witness said he heard “an almighty bang” and turned round to see the Range Rover “tearing along the pavement”.

The dark-coloured Range Rover then continued, taking down a lamppost and then struck a second lamppost, which landed on top of the car.

One man walking near the bus station said: “I was nearing the end of the street and I heard the loudest noise.

“I looked over and saw the Range Rover still travelling along the pavement. It then hit a lamppost and the front window was all smashed in.

“Several people had been hit and it just looked like carnage.”

A woman doctor passing the scene stopped to help and administered first aid and CPR before ambulance teams arrived.

She said: “I stopped to do what I could. They are very badly injured and I just did as much as I could for them.”

Four ambulances were sent to the scene, along with a fleet of police cars.

Police are appealing to any other witnesses to contact them.

druidh
    Free Member

Driver had a heart attack/ fit ?

Again – not enough details

uplink
    Free Member

Similar thing happened [Glasgow too IIRC] some years ago – I believe the driver in that incident had a seizure

GW
    Free Member

Who knows, eh? so why even bother to speculate? would have thought there’d be plenty witnesses around that area this time of year tho so if you’re really bothered just be patient.
    About 15 Years ago on my commute home from work I witnessed a pedestrian hit and run at the cross roads just up from this accident (nr Dales Cycles/Car showroom if you know Glasgow), about 6pm a car coming through the industrial estate from the north ran the red light at what looked to be about 50-60mph just as a bus was setting off on his green light from the South, in trying to avoid the bus the car swerved and got sideswiped left the ground sideways straight into a wall where a pedestrian was walking past, pedestrian was crushed between the car and wall, Car bounced back onto the road and sped off towards the M8 without stopping! if I’d arrived at the junction seconds earlier it would have been me.
    if that one was a seizure they made a miraculous recovery!

druidh
    Free Member
    CountZero

Christmas will never ever be a happy time for the parents of those poor girls. It’s a tragedy at any time when something like this happens, but somehow it seems worse at this time of year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How the does this happen?’ is closed to new replies.