Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How strong are 24 spoke wheels?
  • biker66
    Free Member

I’m looking at some on a hybrid. Bontrager disc. They would need to stand up to carrying a 4 year old in child seat and the odd pot hole and gravely tracks. I’ve felt the wheels and they are not light, so maybe the rims are quite strong.

biker66
    Free Member

Forgot to mention. I’m talking 700c

cynic-al
    Free Member

there are 24 spoke wheels and there are 24 spoke wheels, I doubt any would be as strong as a decent 36H touring rim.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

I’ve felt the wheels and they are not light, so maybe the rims are quite strong

You shouldn’t really confuse weight with strength…

I’ve a 26″ 24 spoke rear wheel, its rather ‘flexible’.

Grace
    Free Member

I’m guessing this won’t help a lot….but:
    Depends on the rim
    Depends on the spokes
    But mainly depends on who built them!

But the principles of more spokes…more crosses equals stronger wheel is sound.

That said, I wouldn’t expect people to race on a 36 hole wheel just as I wouldn’t tour on a 24…

Taff
    Free Member

The third point that Grace said is the most important in any build

Grace
    Free Member

My guess is that it won’t last that long if subjected to pot holes and child seats etc…but if the bikes a good price it wouldn’t out me off as you could get a nice strong hand built replacement for under 100 pounds…

Also check max tyre size for the rim and frame clearances…with a child seat on back its good to run slightly bigger tyres…say 38c.

Northwind

Nothing to add re “depends on the parts and build”, but, how strong are 24 spoke wheels? Crossmax SX obviously isn’t a 700c wheelset but is strong like chuck norris, and 24 spokes each end.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How strong are 24 spoke wheels?’ is closed to new replies.