Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How stiff is the Evil Sovereign frame compared to alpine, bfe etc?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m tempted by one of these, but want to know if they beat you up on long rides. I had a sinister ridge, which was brilliant but was a stiff as a very stiff thing.

Does the sovereign have any give to it?

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve had a ride on Snakebites, its serpantly a stiffer ride than an Alpine or Blue Pig.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a 6lb+ steel hardtail. Its definitely going to be stiff.

kudos100
    Free Member

Have you had a ride on a bfe scruff?

snakebite
    Free Member

sold me Evil for a Bfe.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A BFe is pretty stiff, an Alpine slightly less so. If you’re after a comfy steel frame, get a cotic soul

scruff
    Free Member

Kudos I’ve had a spin on a Bfe, but not a proper ride. Bfe isnt as stiff as a Sov, tbh not many frames are.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or buy my BFe frame (I have one for sale) and fit a carbon seatpost!

5lab

I’m not convinced by the whole ‘stiffness’ argument. With a direct link between the rear axel and the seatpost (ie the seat stay) even the wobbliest of frames is only going to have <.5mm deflection. A long seatpost will give you a bit more, but you’ll have far more impact taking a couple of psi out of your rear tyre

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Stiff yes, but mine is much comfier than the Mmmbop I had before.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Don’t know how it compares to a BFe/ Alpine but there’s enough give to make it comfy for all day rides – certainly much comfier than the skinny little Kona Alu. hardtail I used to ride.
    Evil has a bigger seatpost certainly than the BFe so that translates to a bit more harshness.

toys19
    Free Member

bfe has the biggest seatpost you can get at 31.6. Mine is fine on long rides.

edit – oh you might mean longer?

kudos100
    Free Member

Or buy my BFe frame (I have one for sale) and fit a carbon seatpost!

I know you do but it is over priced 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

The sovereign has it all for me, super short chainstays for jumping and manualling, slackish head angle and tough as nails. I just cant deal with riding another frame with zero give.

@5 lab. See if you can get a ride on a sinister ridge and it will change your mind.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I know you do but it is over priced

What you on about, its a bargain!

kudos100
    Free Member

If it was £170 it would be a bargain!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How stiff is the Evil Sovereign frame compared to alpine, bfe etc?’ is closed to new replies.