Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • how soon to ride after whiplash ?
  • iainc

2 serious crashes 8 weeks apart, first mtb, second track. amongst other things got sore neck/whiplash both times, thankfully xrays each time show ok.

10 days since last one, can now lift head off pillow unaided…just….

Neck movement still limited and pretty sore.

Desperate to spin the legs, although bumpy off road a step to far. Wondering about a gentle road spin on sat, but don’t want to make it any worse ???

wwaswas

get a turbo.

If you’re still in that much discomfort movement is severely restricted then I would say it’s not safe to ride on the road regardless of any additional damage riding will cause.

scud
    Free Member

The trouble is that you have to lift your head up and support it with your neck, especially on road. Maybe better using a turbo or even better gym bike, where you could sit almost upright?

Best thing though is to make sure you don’t make it worse and exacebate the problem. See a good sports physio if it continues.

big_scot_nanny

Iain, I know you’ve been in the wars, so I would say give it another 7 days. Don’t make it worse, it’ll only make it a long time to full recovery.

I gave myself a concussion at the end of the x-mas hols, didn’t take it seriously, kept riding a bike for a week and a half, and of course made myself much much worse. Then was forcefully instructed by Drs to lead “a quiet life” for 2 weeks.

Bored shitless, but followed the instructions and it resolved at the end of that period. If I had done that at the begining I mihgt have been fine after 1 week, but instead it was a month.

Take it easy.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

It hurts for a reason, don’t hammer use it until its far more comfortable.

poah
    Free Member

what did your doctor say – if its sore don’t go out.

iainc

Thanks guys, lots of sensible replies. Think I’ll hang off riding for another week, cheers.

jeb

See a chiropractor, get someone recommend, i was down for 6 month, after a crash, went too the chiro, sorted in 1 week !

wwaswas
    iainc

after a bit of looking around on FB I have got an appointment with a local Sports Physio, who is also Sports Physio for Scottish Cycling and a coach at the Velodrome, on Monday.

He should sort me. No riding till after my visit I reckon 🙂

iainc

so some seriosu manipulation, laser and magnetic ? treatment and a set of exercises to do, with ice afterwards – doesn’t appear to be any lasting damage too likley, so back on bike (carefully) later this week 🙂 and back to see him next week

First time I’ve had a physio who rides same places as me (road, MTB and track) and he actually coached my eldest at the Velodrome, so lots of commonality which helps !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘how soon to ride after whiplash ?’ is closed to new replies.