• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • how soon can you leave a temporary job?
  • Conqueror
    Free Member

how soon can you leave a temporary job?

I may have a problem:

Im going to an interview shortly and said in my letter id be available to start immediately.

Meanwhile tomorow i have to accept a temporary job that will start on monday and last the summer.

If the interview goes well, how quickly am i likely to be able to leave the temporary job that im about to commit to (havent seen contract yet).

RealMan
    Free Member

Completely and utterly depends on what the job is?

Conqueror
    Free Member

factory type work.. assembly.. through a temp agency

giantjason
    Free Member

surely it depends on what is written in the contract you have signed for the temporary job.

if you havent signed the contract then you can leave when you like – although dont be expecting to get paid for any work you have done!

squiff
    Free Member

any kind of temp work you can leave whenever you want!!

RealMan
    Free Member

Well you could ask tomorrow.. but you said it yourself,

a temporary job that will start on monday and last the summer

If it has to last the summer, you shouldnt take it if you cant do it. Or you could try and ammend your interview for the other job, and say you cant start until the end of summer.

andywhit
    Free Member

Turn up to the temp job with your arm hidden inside a jacket with the jacket arm dangling empty. Sorted.

If that doesn’t work then repeat the next day but with both arms inside.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Wouldnt it be mad not to accept it though RealMan?

As the interview for the good job, isnt a guarentee that they will ultimately offer it. Meaning I could run the risk of having niether.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

At a guess it’ll be a weeks notice.

If it is a week I wouldn’t of thought it’ll be a problem for the other place if you did get offered the job.

The temp place probably won’t be best pleased if they’ve just trained you and then you leave though…

RealMan
    Free Member

andywhit has got a point. Accept the factory job. Go to the interview.

Then if you get the good job, say youve broken your leg, had a baby, are being sent to iran by mi6 to sort out the situation there, anything. I dont think they can really force you to work (you could always just screw up constantly until they fire you).

Then you go to work for the good job.

However, this is all coming from just my sense of logic. I’ve never actually had a job.

timber

there is usually a probationary period at the start of a job where it is easier to part company

hora
    Free Member

Factory temp work that ‘will last all Summer’. Bollox. They can get rid of you before your next working day in a temp factory job so treat that opportunity with the same loyalty IMO

Kahurangi

I’ve been pulled off factory lines without warning when with a temp agency. Be ruthless with them as they would be with you. It is how they operate.

bomberman
    Free Member

Take the factory job and if you get the good job just tell them to **** off! unless they pay monthly (which i doubt) then what have you got to lose?? Times are hard at the moment you have to take EVERY opportunity you can.

Jammy111
    Free Member

You will be able to leave whenever you want. Probably nothing in the contract stating a minimum time you must give notice for. Also my dad works in a law firm and says that it would be really easy to defend a case such as yours if it were to go to court (which it wouldnt because no company is going to sue anyone for leaving in the current climate-sure there are plenty of people willing to take your place…)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

A temporary job can let you go with no notice, and you can do the same.

hora
    Free Member

Actually scratch what I said. There may be Polish females working at said-factory 8)

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve had people just not turn up after dinner on their first day – never heard of them again

hora
    Free Member

My bestmate got me a sunday job in the kitchens of Nags Head pub in Hudds. They asked me to leave after an hour as I couldnt cut it 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘how soon can you leave a temporary job?’ is closed to new replies.