• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How slow to pass walkers on bridleways
  • adsh
    Free Member

Was out with the family on a sunday walk y’day afternoon on a bridleway. 5 of us – 3 kids bickering, 1 wife and 1 dog on a long lead (beagle – absolutely no recall ability) and one off lead at heal (labrador). Long gravel double track. We’re walking up hill. There’s about 200-300m visibility.

A couple of bikes appear and head on down. I draw attention to kids etc such that we move onto one side of the track. Bikes pass with a cheery thanks. Methinks ‘shit I’m glad that beagle didn’t move out or one my innatentive kids take a step that was bloody fast’ Wife says very nice of them to say thanks but what idiots to go so fast past us and so close. To which I concur – they must have been doing a min of 15mph 12″ from us.

So is this acceptable/wise – I don’t think so. Next time I’m not going to move so quickly and I’ll also examine my own practice in passing people when I’m out.

Drac

12″ so about the same as walking along on a path alongside a road where cars might be doing 60mph.

Sounds like they slowed down, you moved aside they gave a cheery hello so I really can’t see the issue.

jekkyl

so next time you see some MTBers heading downhill towards you at speed you’re not going to get out of the way so quickly?
    why not? so has to show your annoyance but not so much as to stall their progress or stop them to tell them of your annoyance?
    bit pathetic if that is the case imo.

sandwicheater

What ever is appropriate. If narrow path/dog loose not much faster than walking distance.

If a couple of meters space and they are aware of me, can’t see much point slowing massively but I’ll still try and travel at a speed that will let me stop if they fall/child runs out from behind them/boob gets flashed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sounds like you are being over sensitive, you moved out of the way, so they probably didn’t get any slower because they knew you were aware of them. I do the same myself, if people are aware and happily shifting to the side, there’s no need to slow right down.

aracer
    Free Member

With kids? I’d always slow down for kids as they’re unpredictable. Actually he mentioned dogs as well, and I’d be even more inclined to slow down for them (with one foot unclipped ready to kick the little **** if they go for me).

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer blabbered » Sounds like you are being over sensitive, you moved out of the way, so they probably didn’t get any slower because they knew you were aware of them. I do the same myself, if people are aware and happily shifting to the side, there’s no need to slow right down.
    With kids? I’d always slow down for kids as they’re unpredictable. Actually he mentioned dogs as well, and I’d be even more inclined to slow down for them (with one foot unclipped ready to kick the little **** if they go for me).

you check your speed, but 15mph is hardly lightning.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Have you ever noticed how when you are riding, pedestrians and walkists tend to not have a clue where you’re going and seem to dart around like a startled deer? All of this whilst thinking to yourself ” I’m in perfect control and am not going very fast, what are they doing?”

I think its just the perception of speed and the fact that because you are moving slightly quicker than a walkist, they struggle predicting what you will do.

They were probably in a lot more control of their speed than they appeared. They even had time for some pleasentries.

Ever ridden snowdon when its busy?

daver27
    Free Member

15mph will still cause a lot of damage to a dog, kid, yourself (if you don’t believe me, try getting up to 15mph and jumping off).

frankly, i’m with the OP on this one, its a shared bridleway, on gravel. you aren’t going to stop quick, so slow right down and be polite.

Can’t believe the comments so far! Blindly thinking its your right of way and a walker/dog/kid will move or has actually seen you is idiotic at best. No wonder there is a lot of angst towards cyclists.

oldschool

STRAVA??

crispycross
    Free Member

I agree with the OP too. On bridleways, I thought that cyclists had to give way to walkers and horseriders. That suggests you should be prepared to stop dead, pull over and let them pass. It’s just nice that most walkers step to one side, even though they don’t have to, and horseriders will often move over to let us past if it’s safe. In return, we should pass them at a polite speed, I reckon jogging pace should do it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on so many factors but 15 mph is not that fast and i think non cyclists get spooked by us in general

Dogs especially those on the long leads make me slow down more than people but all are unpredictable

rickmeister

I’m with the OP too, plus I mostly stop to pat dogs… Bikes going downhill… its not as if they have to work had to pick the speed up again is it ?

Kids, dogs are all random and even though its “only 15mph” the impression in the walkers doesnt seem that great does it… even though one is a biker.. some, I would go slower…

martinhutch

If you move out of the way, then it sends a signal that you are prepared for them to pass at near normal pace. If you can’t get your dog to heel or under control in time, probably best to stay a little in their way so they drop a bit of pace. It’s for their safety as much as you and your family/dogs, however much they want to go through at full lick.

I passed a couple of groups and individuals on my local loop yesterday. I met one guy while going flat out around a blindish curve, easy to avoid, but must’ve given him a start, and I felt a bit guilty about that one.

None of us should expect walkers to hurl themselves into the hedges just so we can keep the momentum up. I don’t mind hitting the brakes and doing a slow pass with large groups, dog walkers and kids.

seosamh77
    Free Member

daver27 – Member

Can’t believe the comments so far! Blindly thinking its your right of way and a walker/dog/kid will move or has actually seen you is idiotic at best. No wonder there is a lot of angst towards cyclists.You are just reading what you want. When passing people you judge it on an individual basis, sometimes you slow right down, other times not so much. Depends entirely on the situation.

You shouldn’t put an arbitrary mph on it.

Plus this sounds like another problem that only exists in Englandshire

daver27
    Free Member

seosamh77

its the walkers right of way. 15mph isn’t fast on a bike, but relative to standing still?

shortcut

If it is big and wide and they are all grown ups and are aware of you then 15 seems fine. If it is narrow and I am going to be within 12″ of them then walking pace.

It IS NOT MY RIGHT OF WAY and I am representing the greater good of cycling so space and pleasantaries all the way.

chip
    Free Member

Young family, I would slow down to walking pace, out of courtesy and people can be fond of there children and tend to get arsey if feel that you have endangered them even in the slightest .

Dog walkers , slow to a walking pace , same reason as above and dog could bite you if he feels threatened or feels his people are threatened.

Old people, slow to a walking pace out of courtesy and they may feel less able to react out of self preservation as quickly.

Young fit adults, slow to a walking pace if they don’t acknowledge and give way. If they do I would go faster.

If passing people is few and far between I don’t see the problem with slowing down.

If you pass someone at what they perceive to be speed at what they perceive to be to close, despite your thinking otherwise on a hunk of metal. I should imagine they are feeling how you feel when some muppets in a car passes you too close for your comfort despite their thoughts otherwise.

The walker could stumble at the exact moment you pass the same as you could hit a pot hole when being passed by a car, you should factor in the unexpected.

Drac

Can’t believe the comments so far! Blindly thinking its your right of way and a walker/dog/kid will move or has actually seen you is idiotic at best. No wonder there is a lot of angst towards cyclists.

No one said that. From what I read everyone said they would slow down. Try reading them again you might believe them better when you realise what was actually said.

chambord
    Free Member

I slow almost to a crawl, especially if there are children involved because I’m worried a stone might bounce up and hit them.

Plus it’s not nice for walkers if muddy crap from your tyres sprays all over them, and if you go nice and slow you can say “Hello good day to be out sharing this lovely countryside” and pat their dog on the head.

ebygomm
    Free Member

On bridleways, I thought that cyclists had to give way to walkers and horseriders

You often see the signs “Cyclists give way to walkers” but I’ve never quite understood how you give way to slower people when you’re traveling in the same direction?

seosamh77
    Free Member

seosamh77

its the walkers right of way. 15mph isn’t fast on a bike, but relative to standing still?like I say englandshire problem, youse would all get on alot better if you just accepted each other and understood that horse, bike and pedestrian all can command right of way at different times on the same paths!

I’d quite like to try some English trails sometime, the attitude down there really puts me off though.

martinhutch

It’s not give way like on a road, more that they are, relatively speaking, vulnerable users compared to MTBers, and must be given priority when space is tight. It’s not their obligation to dive out of the way of our Strava runs, it’s our obligation to slow down instead as and when it’s necessary.

A bit like the kind of consideration we expect from other road users.

seosamh77
    Free Member

A bit like the kind of consideration we expect from other road users.

be nice if some of you showed some consideration and actually read what I’m saying.

martinhutch

be nice if so of you shoened some consideration and actually read what I’m saying.

Perhaps I was replying to the guy above you, and hadn’t got around to reading your ‘Pipes of Peace’ reply.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Failure to slow to speed that the pedestrian feels safe with is purely selfish.
    Sadly many people today have no consideration for others. there is absolutely no reason not to slow to walking pace. the suggestion is that its not needed is selfish. You don’t need to slow below 60 if you miss but that’s not the point is it?
    Just like riding on the road, if you are to meek and mild you get shafted. Ride in the gutter and no vehicle slows down, ride in the primary position and people have to make an effort to pass. Off road it is the same which is why many people don’t move over. It makes a cyclist slow to a safe speed.
    I defy anyone to prove that it is a negative thing to slow down. That is not just because you are to damn clever or flash to be bothered.
    I assume that those who are so smug also pass groups of kids without bothering to slow down. Ever seen what happens when a kid with stabilisers hits a adult doing 20mph. Messy

darrenspink
    Free Member

I speed up, go as fast as possible straight through the middle like a bowling ball.

(obviously joking)

rocketman
    Free Member

I do a fair bit of hiking as well as biking and when I’m passing pedestrians I slow right down I know what it feels like to be passed by a bike even at a moderate speed. Factor in a couple of errant kids & dogs and its an accident just waiting to happen.

Besides is a bike ride so fricken important that we have to keep going as fast as possible all the time, and bollocks to everyone else?

Some people 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

These are tough situations. I walk as much as I ride so see both sides. A foot is too close at anything but a slow speed.

Drac

Failure to slow to speed that the pedestrian feels safe with is purely selfish.

But how do you know what they feel safe at, I’ve been asked to go faster and go over difficult ground even to jump off something. I’ve never been told I’m going too fast.

adsh
    Free Member

Hmmm, we didn’t have a lot of time to move, the 2 boys were more intent on bickering, the beagle was still on about 6′ of lead and the lab though very obedient was very close. Hard to put a speed on it but fast enough they couldn’t have any way near stopped had anything gone wrong.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How slow to pass walkers on bridleways’ is closed to new replies.