Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • How should I deal with this? (Kids fighting content)
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Nobody mentions that the sister might have deserved it…

If beating him in a bike race counts as deserving it then she probably did deserve it.

crikey
    Free Member

You could tell the recalcitrant child that you’ll send him to live in England.

That should be enough. ..

glupton1976
    Free Member

I think they’ve just moved from there judging by their accents.

DezB
    Free Member

If beating him in a bike race counts as deserving it then she probably did deserve it.

Humiliated the poor boy then!

bobmac892

I have kids of a similar age I think the wee fella did well sticking up for his sister but yeah bringing in a lesson about restraint and not going OTT is just common sense. The lesson sandwiched between praise so as not to emphasise any any one aspect too strongly.

patriotpro
    Free Member

So your little girl handed him a lesson in bike riding and her brother in bullying…Kinel you need to take them 2 mini gluptons to Disney, and am not talking the pretend one in that there Paris either 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Agree with the point about sensible use of his TKD skills, that in normal life they should be used defensively. This scenario does seem like a sensible use of his TKD skills 😉

The only question in my mind would be did he enjoy defending his sister or hurting the other kid?

glupton1976
    Free Member

I don’t think that he enjoyed either to be honest. He came straight to me afterwards and said what he’d done and why.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sounds like a good lad then.

Markie
    Free Member

Sounds to me like your boy done good.

That said, is it possible to have some kind of patching up the relationship meeting with the neighbours kid, a kind of ‘no hard feelings’ sort of thing?

crikey
    Free Member

I suspect that because he is your lad, and you are his dad, things will be Ok pretty rapidly.

😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

I have no doubt that they will all be playing together again tomorrow afternoon when school is finished.

yunki
    Free Member

The lesson sandwiched between praise so as not to emphasise any any one aspect too strongly.

can you come and live at our house please..?

I agree with you entirely in theory, but mostly in our house we just stagger from one event to the next, cracking skulls whilst at the same time frantically trying to avoid causing too much psychological damage..

are you really a parent..?
    or a stooge, or perhaps some sort of a guiltbot..?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Send your daughter to Tae Kwon Do too, so she can break out some sweet moves herself.

CountZero

But by all accounts from the OP, it was not a swift slap. It was a beating that drew blood.

I think that when dealing someone so young, 7 years old you should teach restraint. They are at the stage when they are growing and learning about boundaries. Someone older might be able to distinguish between a situation where they need to ‘slap’ or simply stand between the child who is trying to kick a little girl.
    I think the 7yo has just learned the boundaries, which involve not smacking a little girl in the face, then trying to kick her, without there being swift retribution. I think your lad is fine, he responded to a situation in such a way that he may well have caused a nascent bully to think again.
    Kids get kicked in the face doing martial arts all the time, and there’s usually blood.

The 7yr olds parents saw it all going on and simply said to their son that if they go about picking on little girls they will more often than not end up with their head in their hands. To be fair on them it was all over very quickly and they had no time to react to their kid hitting my daughter before my son waded in.

Exactly the right reaction on their part. Their lad has learned a valuable life lesson; picking on those smaller and more vulnerable is nasty, and he’s found out what can happen as a result.
    He’s learned to treat your 6yo with real respect, too, I’ll bet that kick shook him more than any real pain he likely felt; he’s probably seen dozens of fights on telly and in movies where someone takes a kick to the face, and never, ever imagined that he’d get one from the younger kid next door. 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

Just while we’re on the subject of Tae Kwon Do – the wee shite next door has until now tried to take the piss out of my son – calling it Tae Kwon Tutu. Wonder if that’ll stop now too. 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

He’s learned to treat your 6yo with real respect, too

I disagree, that would more likely be fear than respect.

SiB
    Free Member

Sounds like some of the folk on here would like to get H&S involved to check your son was wearing correct footwear and that full risk assessment was carried out beforehand…….and it makes me wonder how many of these folk are actually parents, or parents who wrap their kids in cotton wool to protect them from EVERYTHING.They will grow up one day to find that life away from parents can be very tough, start the learning curve sooner rather than later.

the wee shite next door

Maybe good idea your views are kept from your son…….next time there might be one extra kick because he is a ‘wee shite’ and that goes against the grain….just teach bully a lesson for his actions, not because of what you think of him.

He protected his younger sister who was getting bullied, bully go taught a lesson, nobody dies….surely it just stops there as protective brother appears very sensible and using his skills to get best result and bully sulks off

Take him to strip bar tomorrow night

bigyinn
    Free Member

Followed by coke and hookers? 😆

binners

If he has martial arts skills already, get him boxing too. That way he has a glowing career in front of him as a cage fighter. Surely the future every father wants for his son?

FuzzyWuzzy

Seems fine to me, all you need now is to find a reclusive caretaker to send him off to to get properly trained…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

1. Get your son a copy of Ender’s Game.

2. Gauge his reaction once he finishes reading it.

3. ???

4. Sit back as your son and daughter take over the world!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Right – middle child got his bike stolen this evening. Oldest son found the older boy who stole it, kicked the crap out of him and got the bike back.

As much as I think that the boy did good, he’s going to get a reputation as a troublemaker. That would be about the exact opposite of what he’s like as he’s a big stickler for rules.

Moving is not on the cards for the next couple of years. 🙁

RichPenny
    Free Member

He’s 7. Not only is he going to get a rep, he’ll be getting a pasting pretty soon 🙁

joolsburger
    Free Member

Do you live in the ghetto or something?

yunki
    Free Member

A wideo in the making

glupton1976
    Free Member

Do you live in the ghetto or something?

Pretty much.

He’s 7. Not only is he going to get a rep, he’ll be getting a pasting pretty soon

He’s 6. But aye – he’ll end up hitting someone that is too big for him.

A wideo in the making

Far from it.

Scapegoat

I thought I had the balance right with my lad. He was a judoka, plays on the front row in Union to district level and second row in league. He’s powerful and he knows it, and the rugby means he is “collision-ready” but so far has managed to use his gob to stay out of fights, despite the best efforts of the various idiots at school who see him as a bit of a trophy.

I have just had the dis/pleasure of watching a video one of his mates took on Monday. The tale is that a kid who spent year 7 abusing and threatening my lad and his twin sister before leaving in a “managed move” had threatened my lad over facebook. A few hours of ripping later and the kid swore he would shank my lad and get someone to **** up his sister. The kid appeared out of the blue when my lad and his girlfriend were chilling down at the local park, and immediately started on him. There are something like three minutes of footage of my lad simply standing with his arms folded while the kid gestures, points, threatens, swears, and then when he relaxes and turns away knees my lad in the balls and punches him twice to the face/jaw.

My lad moves in and throws him with a hip throw, and you can hear the crunch as his elbow and humerus took the full force of the throw. Whoops. Despite the fact that the idiot continues to threaten him my lad rings the ambulance, puts his arm in a makeshift sling and walks him to meet the paramedics. Kid was in surgery yesterday, and my lad feels genuinely sorry for him, saying that the kid didn’t have the skills to resolve the whole thing without trying to fight.

Keef
    Free Member

buy him an icecream.

Scapegoat

For what it’s worth, it may be possible to explain to a six year old all about reasonable force and self defence/ defence of his sister and what’s right and wrong, but he won’t always get it right. After all, many adults can’t differentiate or make that sort of sense of the world of violence, so asking a six year old to practise the wisdom of Solomon is a bit fanciful. He’ll get some of it, but not all.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘How should I deal with this? (Kids fighting content)’ is closed to new replies.