Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • How should I deal with this? (Kids fighting content)
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

7yr old next door neighbour punched my 3yr old daughter in the face and tried to start kicking her. My 6yr old son saw this and lamped the 7yr old – gave him a bit of a doing – there was blood.

Deep down I’m happy that he stuck up for his sister, but dont really want him to go around lamping people.

How would you deal with it?

scotroutes

Tell him you are happy he stuck up for his sister but you don’t really want him to go around lamping people.

crikey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t deal with it by coming on here and making it a topic for a load of middle aged mountain bikers to argue over.

Sort it out, you’re their Dad, it’s your job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    havinalaff
    Free Member

Sit him down and tell him its not right to start a fight or pick on someone but looking after his sister was a good thing.

33tango

Get the young lad into the local boxing club – he’s showing potential!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get the young lad into the local boxing club – he’s showing potential!

He’s already at a tae kwon do club. I didnt see it, but he tells me he kicked the boy in the face.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get the young lad into the local political party – he’s showing potential!

😉

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d be off next door first to have a word.

Junkyard
    Free Member

explain this sort of behaviour belongs in a zoo

5thElefant
    Free Member

A firm handshake should suffice.

Or, if you’re soft a pat on the back.

crikey
    Free Member

Oooh, I wish I’d thought of that!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Chapeau junkyard

vinnyeh

Yes, just tried looking for that thread to see whether punches were really thrown at the zoo, but can’t find it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Of course it does.
    Tell him next time to stay out of it & let his sister get a good hiding so the 7yr old bully boy can think he can get away with it every time.

glupton1976
    Free Member

No punches were thrown at the zoo. Merely a deflection.

seavers
    Free Member

Tell him you are happy he stuck up for his sister but you don’t really want him to go around lamping people.

Good old fashioned common sense innit. Also crikey has kinda nailed it in a harsh but fair way! 🙂

I would be interested to know how you sorted it? Have you spoken to your son? The neighbors? What was the outcome?

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you teach him sufficient self control to use just enough force to protect himself or his sister, but no more?

One kick to the face would probably have been enough, or better still a shove or a hold. You are allowed to defend, but not retalliate.

vinnyeh

One kick to the face would probably have been enough, or better still a shove or a hold. You are allowed to defend, but not retalliate.

I just read that as ‘shovel’,

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Buy him a congratulatory beer (but not lager obviously). And before anyone pipes up about ‘underage drinking’, the age limit is 5 years old.

tinybits
    Free Member

I can’t see he did a whole lot wrong. I’d be happy if my boy went a bit ott in those circumstances.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Of course it does.
    Tell him next time to stay out of it & let his sister get a good hiding so the 7yr old bully boy can think he can get away with it every time

The OP had a fight in a zoo* hence the comment.

The serious answer was given in the OP anyway and repeated by Scotsroutes

*He is still rewriting it so lord knows what really happened.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

JY 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

Could be a child’s face next time.

Pigface
    Free Member

Junkyard very sharp, made me laugh.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Aye – that Junkyard is as sharp as a mallet.

nickc

I’d forgotten all about the incident “at the zoo”

what a carry on

glupton1976
    Free Member

Went for the – “it’s good that you stuck up for your sister, but you need to remember that kicking folk in the face is only for tae kwon do” option.

dannybgoode

My 2p’s worth – a 7 yo attacked a 3 yo and the 3 yo’s brother defended her.

Perhaps explain that its ok to defend his sister in such situations but should try to avoid kicking 7 shades of poo out of the said attacker and wherever possible should avoid force all together.

Also, perhaps get one of the tutors at the tae kwon do club to have a word with him and explain when its ok to use the skills he has learned.

Cheers

Danny B

patriotpro
    Free Member

What’s there to deal with… Your lad nipped it in the bud in good fashion. Take him out and treat him.

seavers
    Free Member

Take him out and treat him.

Come on guy, that is at best a short sighted way to deal with it. Rewarding a child of 7 for being violent can only endorse such action in the future.

He needs to know that helping his sister was right but a violent reaction is wrong.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I should probably add that this is a working class housing estate near to where Trainspotting was set.

dannybgoode

A violent reaction is wrong if there are other options. However, if the lad needed stopping quickly as he was about to boot a 3 year old in the face / body whatever then a swift slap may be necessary…

seavers
    Free Member

then a swift slap may be necessary…

But by all accounts from the OP, it was not a swift slap. It was a beating that drew blood.

I think that when dealing someone so young, 7 years old you should teach restraint. They are at the stage when they are growing and learning about boundaries. Someone older might be able to distinguish between a situation where they need to ‘slap’ or simply stand between the child who is trying to kick a little girl.

Edit…I just don’t thing it is wise to encourage a slap fist mentality in someone so young.

jimmy

I should probably add that this is a working class housing estate near to where Trainspotting was set

leave some craft beer for the parents, things’ll soon turn around.

taxi25
    Free Member

A 7yr old punches a 3yr old girl in the face and then goes to put the boot in !!! I don’t care how tough an estate it is alarm bells should be flashing big time. The op’s son was defending his sister no problem there.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your boy did nothing wrong. He deserves praise for looking out for his little sister. I think I’d be having a little chat with the 7yo’s parents.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Fair play. He nipped it in the bud. It won’t happen again.
    Tell him he done good for looking after his sister.

You take sh1t you be given sh1t, and he’s not taking any for his crew!

Chapeau!

SB
    EDIT – re your title “How should I deal with this?”….don’t worry, you boy already took care of things!!!

glupton1976
    Free Member

The 7yr olds parents saw it all going on and simply said to their son that if they go about picking on little girls they will more often than not end up with their head in their hands. To be fair on them it was all over very quickly and they had no time to react to their kid hitting my daughter before my son waded in.

DezB
    Free Member

Nobody mentions that the sister might have deserved it…

( 😉 in case anyone, well you know)

Neil-F
    Free Member

He did nowt wrong in my eyes, if its bothering you then go speak to the neighbours, take the kids with you. Maybe get them all to shake hands and make them understand that its finished with?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘How should I deal with this? (Kids fighting content)’ is closed to new replies.