Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How short is too short for steering tube
  • kaboom
    Free Member

Have got enough bits to build up my new (secondhand) Bfe frame, I find out I have made school boy error!! The steering tube only comes out of the top of my headset by 20mm, is this enough?

Even without spacers it will only be half way up the stem that I have. Can I leave a gap? What is the problem? Can I get a narrower stem?

Any experience and or advice would be good. Already kicking myself so no more of that is needed.

Thanks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Even without spacers it will only be half way up the stem that I have. Can I leave a gap?

That’s no good. I wouldn’t go any more than 5mm from the top of the stem if I were you. 20mm is nowhere near enough for any stem I know of. Unless you can get a lower stack headset you’re buggered.

campkoala
    Free Member

Some stems go as low as 35mm stack height, although not ideal, this will work, personally I’d fit a lower stack headset top cup too (if possibe)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

scaredypants

what make of headset is it? – may be able to find some room there

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some stems go as low as 35mm stack height, although not ideal, this will work, personally I’d fit a lower stack headset top cup too (if possibe)

Nah. That’s still little more than half way up the stem. Just don’t.

Edric64
    Free Member

Spank spike stem is 35mm can you find 10mm or so with a lower stack headset?

richpips
    Free Member

20mm no.

Half way up the stem I’ve done without death though.

kaboom
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

The headset that I only fitted an hour ago is a Octane One Warp 1 Sealed Headset 2013. The profile isn’t that high, so not sure I will gain much.

The stem could be smaller, but don’t think I will get enough.

tmb467
    Free Member

You should be able to fit a zero stack headset in there if you’re running 1 1/8 steerer

You’ll need 35mm minimum for your stem – does your current headset give that ?

kaboom
    Free Member

Zero stack sounds good, but may not be enough. I for think I have that much spare to find.

May have to change forks.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

New uppers for your forks may be required…….

campkoala
    Free Member

I’m well aware of how fractions work thanks Peter. 🙂
    What catastrophe do you think will happen with only 20mm clamping surface and 15mm free at the top,?
    And do you realise some BMX stems have as little as 22mm stack/clamping surface?

The stem won’t hold, the steerer with quite so much force, which may cause loosening of the headset adjustment.

If you’re really worried, run a headlock

shermer75
    Free Member

Kore used to make a stem with 30mm stack height. I’ve still got one but it’s for 25.4mm handlebars unfortunately..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s ok, I’m here to save the day

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhp-22-steerer-tube-extender/

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Some Syntace stems only need 30mm of steerer. It might be cheaper to get new forks though…
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2050

tpbiker
    Free Member

i used a steerer extender similar to the one posted above. Not ridden it yet, but it would easily be robust enough for general trail duties i reckon. Basically its just like a quill stem

takisawa2

I run one about that short once.
    I put a peice of cut steerer on top so the stem wasn’t clamped with only one bolt & unevenly stressed. An Ameoba headlock kept it all tight, but some forks have a blanking plug in the crown so you’ll need to check.
    Was some RC31’s I picked up cheap due to a short steerer.
    Ran it for a Winter SS.

Nobody died etc.

kaboom
    Free Member

Cheap bike builds never work out cheap.

Thanks for the help. I will look at changing to zero stack and see what I’m left with. If I can do that and get 30mm then I will be able to make a go of it. If not then, forks will be up for sale and see what else I can find.

Northwind

I suppose the other question is, how hard to you expect to beat it? A BFe could be a general bike or it could be for jumping over houses.

jedimaster
    Free Member

kaboom, i’m running a ragley stubbing stem which has 32mm stack height

shermer75
    Free Member

davidtaylforth, yesterday

honourablegeorge

Cheap, good looking and super light (123g !) stem from Funn, with only 30mm stack

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funn-funnduro-stem-2014/rp-prod91491

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How short is too short for steering tube’ is closed to new replies.