Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • How shit is Windows?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Seriously – brand new computer (about 4 weeks old). Last night it took 30 minutes to start up because it was installing updates.

Tonight?

Yep, installing more updates – it’s been 20 minutes so far and still got spinny wheel.

Bollocks shit crap.

shermer75
    Free Member

I hate windows. Only good thing about it is it’s cheap.

teethgrinder

Old Dell Laptop thing here (i2 Core Duo, 2gb ram) – runs W7 fine and does the job without costing £1K like the hipster slabs.

Apple hater, if you couldn’t tell…

Jamie
    Free Member

Meh…it’s just a tool innit.

The OS, not the OP 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Well after god-knows how long of waiting for the PC to start up (so I can stream music – it’s all held on there) I gave up, opened the lid of my Mac and here I am.

Windows still titting about.

scaredypants

seems a bit unreasonable – maybe you have some malware on there ?

what windows
    what spec pc
    what internet connection

johndoh
    Free Member

Okay, timing now – from OP to getting the desktop back (bearing in mind it ws going for a good 20 minutes already)….

scaredypants

Might it be uploading all your pron music to the cloudthingy ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Windows 8.1, HP thing costing £400 – no idea exact spec, Virgin Fibre Broadband.

johndoh
    Free Member

Finally appeared

Seriously – this is getting returned – it’s absurdly bad.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

New computer but Windows might be a little out of date, hence all the updates. You can turn auto updates off…

johndoh
    Free Member

Might it be uploading all your pron music to the cloudthingy ?

No, it’s updates before I even get to the desktop.

andytherocketeer

maybe you have some malware on there ?

yeah, it’s called windows 😉

spxxky
    Free Member

Having to support some 6000 Windows PC’s I can confirm that Windows is shit!
    Memory hungry, update hungry and a sponge for viruses and trojans!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just doing a clean install on my Mac Mini before selling it. First disc says it will be an hour and a half!

Windows always tries to install all the updates when I’m rushing home. “Shutting down after installing updates. 1 of 7.” FFS! Corporate policy so can’t disable.

Linux Mint installed on my i7/SSD in under 5 minutes from bootable USB. Boots in seconds, updates applied with no restart. Love it!

😉

rocketman
    Free Member

Our Windows 8.1 boxes are all superb. Had a play with 10 the other day in a vm window very slick

johndoh
    Free Member

Now it has started and it can’t find a WIFI network, despite my Mac finding it, my iPhone finding it and the old Windows 7 finding it….

I am thinking the computer is borked.

johndoh
    Free Member

after 3 or 4 restarts, resetting the router and general piddling about it is finally online again.

I might have thought it was malware if I had ever opened up a single pron site on it but I never have on that machine – loads of times on the old machine on W7 and on the Mac, but never on that one.

Crap, rubbish, shit.

rickmeister

ours is heaps better since ditching norton anti virus, the boat anchor of pc programmes…

scaredypants

Dells have proprietary wifi management that seems kack to me. You have to make them use the windows manager.

Maybe HP does something similar ?

regardless, I’d plug it into the router for big downloads

SaxonRider

Relevant clip:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8yrOAjfKM[/video]

allthepies
    Free Member

Chromebook FTW.

deets

A few years ago, I built my Cotic Soul while Mrs Deets tried to get a brand new Dell laptop up and running out of the box. I won the race. Three years later and the Soul is still functioning whilst the PC barely works.

Always used a Mac myself, never had the patience for Windows, though I appreciate that it’s all about what you get used to.

moshimonster
    Free Member

iMac 24″ 3.5 GHz Core i7, 16 GB ram running OSX 10.9.4
    So **** you 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not shit. Mine doesn’t do that. Yours won’t do it all the time either, just does it on first use. Plus you should be blaming HP or Dell nor Microsoft. A clean install is vastly quicker than what they ship.

There’s a reason they are 1/3 the price of Macs, but it’s not what you think.

slowoldman

Old Dell Laptop thing here (i2 Core Duo, 2gb ram) – runs W7 fine and does the job without costing £1K like the hipster slabs.

I think you’ll find Apple and Apple users predate hipsters. Some of us are really old and unhip.

johndoh
    Free Member

Molgrips- my Mac never does it and when it updates it asks first – this is around an hour over two days of waiting for it to update. Yes I am using other kit on the network but it’s 50meg fibre so there’s no reason for these delays. Seriously I can’t believe how bad this is.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mac rebooted. Now downloading 1gb of updates. It’s not just Windows…

MrOvershoot

WTF are some people doing to their machines?
    I don’t get any issues at all in our house 2 Samsung laptops 1 on Win8.1 the other on Win7 and 2 desktops, 1 a Mesh gaming machine on Win8.1 & a home built unit on Win7 all will be at the desktop in 10 seconds or less and never miss a beat.
    Oh I’m sure the Mac machines are very slick but so they should be at the price.

johndoh
    Free Member

All I have done is remove unwanted software, installed Chrome, iTunes, Dropbox and Picassa then imported my music, pictures and videos.

No internet and ironically using the old machine for torrents so it’s as clean as you could hope for.

footflaps

Have to say I find W7 way more stable than OSX. 100% Apple at home and use W7 everyday at work and much as I hate to admit it, W7 is the more stable OS.

butcher

Windows is pretty decent these days. A bit resource hungry, but it’s all things to all men, and since it serves most the population of the world that shouldn’t be a surprise really.

johndoh
    Free Member

Nothing to do with stable OSs, it’s the amount of interference from the supplier – my Mac is fine, so many times I try to use the PC I get massive hold ups due to updates.

moshimonster
    Free Member

W7 is the more stable OS.

I’m surprised at that to be honest. My last Mac desktop ran continuously for about 5 years and maybe rebooted it once every couple of months at most – usually after a power cut or the occasional Microsoft Office glitch. I honestly can’t remember the last time a piece of Mac software brought it down.

As for high end work PCs a totally different story. Daily crashes the norm, shit software all over the place, shit memory management, hard drive failures, RAM issues, graphics card issues, network issues, etc, etc. A complete pile of frustrating shit. That’s why I always use Macs at home. Not because I’m a fanboy, but because I find they work a lot better. I’ll make do with a PC only if I have to.

footflaps

Mac networking is terrible, I have several Macs and NAS devices and they often completely lock up if a remote drive / machine is taking too long to respond. At least W7 carries on and doesn’t completely lock up if a drive hasn’t quite woken up. The only time I reboot W7 is when new updates appear (and even OSX needs rebooting for updates, so that’s no longer a differentiator).

butcher

As for high end work PCs a totally different story. Daily crashes the norm, shit software all over the place, shit memory management, hard drive failures, RAM issues, graphics card issues, network issues, etc, etc.

Sounds unlucky to me. We’ve been running a £300 bargain bucket PC for about 5 years and not had a single problem with it. Never crashes, runs decent (I use it for Photoshop all the time), updates generally take no longer than a minute or two.

Same at work. I’ve been running a £300 PC for approx 5 years. No issues…

I can see the appeal of Macs. But there’s nothing inherently wrong with PCs, or Windows, in my opinion.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Microsoft is crap, that’s why Apple are able to charge a higher price for their products as they actually work properly.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thing is, I like Macs but not a fanboi – which is why I bought a PC for home – but the experience so far has been nothing but painful.

Jamie
    Free Member

Microsoft is crap, that’s why Apple are able to charge a higher price for their products as they actually work properly.

kimbers

i agree with alan davies

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘How shit is Windows?’ is closed to new replies.