Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How secure are electric garage doors?
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

My new house has an electric garage door fitted, one were you press a fob and it rolls up. It seems a but gimmicky and flimsy to me. With bike security in mind would I be better off fitting a proper garge door? Mates have them with additional bolts at the bottom were the door meets the floor.

ski
    Free Member

Is it alarmed, mine is, if you try and gain entry buy pulling on it, sets an alarm off, it also has bolts inside to lock it, but you will need a second exit to leave the garage by 😉

Rio

Depends what sort of garage door it is. Ours is a roller-shutter type thing like the sort of thing shops use to stop people breaking in when they’re closed; it’s supposed to be pretty secure, the key is coded like a car key and you can always switch it off if you’re worried about someone cloning the key. On the other hand many up-and-over garage doors are made of tinfoil and aren’t very secure regardless of how many or what sort of locks you have.

I’d lock the bikes seperately if you’re at all worried.

wwaswas

is it a standard ‘up and over’ type door or a roller one?

if it’s up and over I’d fit at least onew pair of these;

to stop people ‘peeling’ the bottom of the door up. Don’t use electric bits with them done up though…

ski
    Free Member

After locking myself out of my home, I was amazed as to how easy it was for me to peel up my electric garage door!

Hence the manual deadlocks like wwaswas mentioned.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ve fitted dozens of the locks that wwaswas mentioned due to my work as a locksmith and I have them fitted to my garage doors too, although mine are a different brand.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks guys, it’s a roll up one. Fitted by cordula in 1998 with a 10 bit encoded fob to open it. I would put it in the flimsy category. I will be putting a ground anchor in for the bikes. Since we only have one fob (the previous owner only purchased one according to the recipt) and the car we will garage will only be used occasionally having a n electric door isn’t really important to us, we don’t intend to move fir a long time so keeping it as a selling feature isn’t an issue and by the time we plan to move it will no doubt need/be replaced from wear and tear anyhow. I’ve seen some electric doors that seem ‘proper’ this ones more a ‘toy’.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

…deadlocks to be fitted later today, thanks 🙂

Kryton57

Having recently acquired one after moving house, I was told there are 2 types. One which uses a belt drive (I may be wrong?) but also one which I have that uses a “worm drive” machanism – a rod that rotates (screws) through the mechanism. Apparantly, and I await yet hope not to be corrected this latter one is much more secure and can’t be forced.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How secure are electric garage doors?’ is closed to new replies.